JJ Blake ’17: Rising Model and Filmmaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Sophomore Jenna “JJ” Blake, originally from Dover, NH, is a film major who has recently begun modeling as a cover girl for AU’s It Magazine. She documents her life modeling through various posts on social media, and hopes to eventually become more involved with It Magazine. 

Her Campus American University: How Did You Get Involved With It Magazine?

JJ Blake: My best friend Emma told me to come to this model casting for It Magazine last year, and I honestly wasn’t really sure what it was for. In the spring, I was invited to a photo shoot with It Magazine and worked with this really awesome group of stylists and photographers. It was so much fun that I knew I wanted to get more deeply involved this year.

HCAU: Do you have any prior experience with modeling and/or photography?

JB: Photography is a hobby of mine, and I’m excited to be able to take more classes on it soon. I’ve been experimenting with cameras, photography, and film since I was in elementary school, but I’m only just starting to seriously pursue it now. My best friend uses me as a model for art projects all the time. We’re really casual about it. She’ll be like, “I need you for pictures,” and I’ll be like, “let’s do it right now.”

HCAU: Walk us through a typical photo shoot with It Magazine

JB: When I get to the shoot, (usually late) I get to hang out with the stylists and meet the other models. Nicolette, the beauty editor for It Magazine, does my makeup. I’ll beg her to move in with me so she can do it every morning while I try to sit still. I’m obsessed with makeup, so getting all done up is so much fun for me. After that, Savannah, our fashion editor, will dress me in clothes revolving around the theme of the shoot, and adds accessories to complete each look. Then we walk to the site, and Adam, our social media director, or Savannah will take my picture. They tell me how to stand and where to put my arms and what general emotion to convey through my face. I hate acting, but it’s cool to be able to take on a different persona or character in between sticking out my tongue or tossing in a ridiculous pose.

HCAU: What is the best aspect of modeling?

JB: Not to be sappy, but the best part of modeling is getting to hang out with people from the magazine. Everyone involved in the shoots makes me really comfortable and they all laugh at my jokes. I’m free to express myself while working as a sort of canvas for an overall vision. The It Mag club is a genuine team of artists, and we all work together to get the best shots. Not to mention they make me look like a total babe.

HCAU: What is the worst aspect of modeling?

JB: I seriously get cold so easily. The worst part of modeling is having to stand outside in chilly, blustery weather in not chilly, blustery weather appropriate clothes. Whenever I start to shiver I just yell, “THE THINGS I DO FOR FASHION.”

HCAU: Do you hope to get involved in other aspects of It Magazine?

JB: It Magazine has different focuses throughout that come together in the blog and the online publication. My main interest is the beauty section; I discuss makeup, style, and ideas for articles with Nicolette and other members of our mini-team during our weekly meetings. Right now I’m working on an article that will hopefully be finished in a week or two about the best cosmetics for a college budget. Be on the look out for that!

HCAU: What are some of your other interests outside of modeling for It Magazine?

JB: Besides the magazine, I’m involved in the Rude Mechanicals, the premiere on-campus Shakespeare troupe. This semester I’ll be stage managing King Lear after working as a crew member for previous Rudes shows. I am also a University College Ambassador, and talk to prospective students and parents about the UC program. But what I really love is getting off campus and taking advantage of living in D.C. My friends and I venture into the city for concerts, plays, flea markets, weird hiking trails, and food. I am such a tourist so the monuments and museums are my favorite places to go. 

HCAU: Do you aspire to work in print or another media type?

JB: I aspire to work in the film industry. Film has been my passion since I was little, so being able to major in my hobby is really special. I’m also minoring in creative writing and theater, so visual/audio artistic expression are a lot more important to me career-wise than working strictly in print. I love writing, but I really just want to make movies. 

Hopefully, we’ll be seeing her work on the big screen as well as on the front of a magazine in the near future!

Maggie is a senior at American University studying Broadcast Journalism and International Relations. In addition to writing for Her Campus as both a featured writer and a section editor, Maggie is also involved in Greek life, an American University Ambassador, and is currently interning in the newsroom at Voice of America. When Maggie is not writing, she can be found obsessively reading Buzzfeed, going back through study abroad photos from London, and dreaming about Baked and Wired cupcakes. After graduation, Maggie hopes to work as a correspondent in Europe, and use this as an excuse to travel the world as much as possible.