Get Fit & Ready For Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

How did the school year fly by so fast? With less than one month of school left, we can already hear the beach and pool calling!

While we don’t believe in only exercising to prep for “Bikini Season”, we know that a lot of girls out there are feeling the pressue to start getting fit. Use this as the chance to start a new fitness routine that will stick throughout the summer and into next school year! With the snow days finally (hopefully!) over, tons of students are taking advantage of the gorgeous weather outside to lounge and study. Now is the perfect time to start getting into shape for those crazy-heat days ahead! Here are some ways to ease into a new exercise routine, even if you haven’t been to the gym since last semester:

1. Yoga. A great way to start increasing your muscle flexibility is to take up some yoga! Gentle stretches will help to wake up your body from its winter slumber and relax your mind during the stretch before finals. Do it in the morning on the quad with a bunch of friends to help start your day right, or finish an evening sweat session with some poses as a cool-down. You can find some cheap mats around DC. Just roll your shoulder back, breathe deep, and embrace your chi.

2. Couch to 5K. This is a great program to introduce non-runners into running! Most beginners stop running because they start out too fast and are in too much pain to continue. The whole idea behind the C25K is to start slowly and build your endurance over two months so that you feel accomplished by the end of each run, not exhausted. Also, it turns out that running to Tenleytown and back is the perfect distance to complete each session! Take advantage of these warm spring days and give it a shot!

3. Healthy eats. We don’t know about you guys, but warm spring days inspire us to eat a little lighter and healthier! Ditch the super creamy (and fat-laden) soups in TDR and pick up a portabella mushroom burger with all the fixings, or switch your tenda’s-and-fries for a rice bowl with chicken and veggies. Eating clean doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor– it’s all about balancing those heavier meals with some lighter options to help you feel less bloated and tired!

4. Drink more water! We don’t even need to mention how being hydrated can make you feel less cranky, have clearer skin, or reduce headaches. Drinking water regularly can help flush out toxins from your body, which gives you a radiant glow and more energy. There are several ways to help keep track of how much water your drinking, from decorating water bottles to free apps that monitor your progress.

Do you have any other tips of how to prepare for the bikini days ahead? Tell us in the comments below! 

Photo credit:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5