Falling in Love Even After Valentine’s Day: Ed Sheeran’s Newest Track

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

When Ed Sheeran released two tracks just over a month ago, no one expected he would release another on his birthday. But, he decided to release one of his favorite songs from the album. In the wake of Valentine’s Day, Sheeran’s song talks about one of his favorite themes, love. February 17th is the artist’s birthday and as a sort of celebration, he released “How Would You Feel.” 

“As it’s my birthday I dropped a new song from ÷ called How Would You Feel (Paean) go give it a listen while I eat some cake x,” Ed posted on his Instagram just before the video went live.

Millions of fans have already wished their idol a Happy Birthday. The video had nearly half a million views after just six hours (true fans, like myself, have listened to the track on repeat whenever they have time). This celebration around the world has provided Sheerios with a unique opportunity to connect with one another through music and Sheeran.

The track itself is an impressive show of why his fans are so loyal. It brings the music back to the more acoustic feel that we have come to know and love as a part of the self-deprecating ginger’s flair. The video features a pianist and his acoustic guitar layered under his soft vocals. Just like in Thinking Out Loud, Ed talks about the simple vulnerability of love and how it can make us long for the ease of moments with another person. The chorus follows a quiet moment with the couple as we are invited into the private moments between two people. The chorus asks “How would you feel, if I told you I loved you?” Recognizing that this could be a bad idea because they are in such a vulnerable position, but “It’s just something that I want to do. I’ll be taking my time, spending my life falling deeper in love with you. So, tell me that you love me too.” The soft strumming adds to the sweet tone and message. He only uses three chords to create this mood. Sheeran’s clarity in his lyrics allow the words to speak for themselves: “I love you, please love me back.”

Sheeran has announced that the release of the complete album will be on March 3rd. Pre-orders have already opened and Sheerios are prepared to have their minds blown by Ed’s third album. The unique way he approached this album has been discussed in interviews and should produce a bit of a new sound for him. He even told Ellen that he threw his phone away! Getting off the grid has allowed him to live in a more relaxed way. But, the first three tracks are fire and we hope the album will not disappoint. 

Images: 1, 2, & 3