Style > Beauty

Constellation Piercings Are a Thing and You Need Them Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

If you’re an avid fan of Pinterest, then you know that the next big piercing trend has made its way onto all the in-the-know boards: constellation piercings.

For those who don’t spend hours scouring Pinterest boards for the latest styles (psh, we totally don’t…), constellation piercings are a free-for-all for your ears. Rules no longer apply—you want zig zag piercings? You got ’em. What about one in a part of your ear where a q-tip can’t even reach? Sure, if you have the guts for it. This trend embraces experimentation, so it’s only fitting that it practically exploded overnight at New York Fashion Week.

During the trend-setting event last week, models could be seen rocking their unique daith and rook piercings on the runway. Even celebs (eh-hem, Queen Bey herself!) have opted in for ears that look like they’ve come straight out of a star-gazing map. And, of course, beauty vloggers like Jaclyn Hill and Nikki Tutorials have g(ear)red themselves up for the trend by getting their conch and helix piercings done.

It all started when piercing guru Brian Keith Thompson revealed the ‘next best thing’ in piercings late last year.

And anyone in the piercing community knows: when Brian tells them where to stick the needle, they listen. This latest trend has inspired countless Pinterest-worthy ears (seriously, who knew ears could be so cute) and way more purchase-worthy earrings. 

Just make sure to do your research before sitting in the chair. Make a Pinterest board of your fav piercing placements, search for hypoallergenic earrings if you’re about that life (and you should be—if you’re getting a lot of piercings, you’re not going to want a lot of infections to go with them), and definitely familiarize yourself with the best places in DC to get piercings. 

But really, just have fun with it! Remember, you can always let them close up when the next big thing rolls around, or you can just add more! This trend is all about originality—the more unique, the better. So if you’ve been on the fence about adding an ear piercing, now’s the time to take the plunge.

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for the potential to be grossed out by ear pics when looking at too many for too long (we may or may not be speaking from experience). Happy Pinteresting!

Visuals: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

Ashlyn Peter

American '20

Ashlyn is a Journalism major and International Relations minor at American University in Washington, D.C. She just got back from studying abroad in Paris, France, so you can find her eating croissants and sipping café au lait to relive the magic in her free time.