The Comeback Kids: The Jonas Brothers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The original JB is back! No, not Justin Bieber – the Jonas Brothers, remember them? It’s been a while (four years to be exact), and they are back and better than ever. Hundreds of eighteen and nineteen-year-old girls have reversed back to their thirteen year-old selves. After splitting from Disney owned Hollywood Records in May of 2012 after six years together, the brothers are now taking charge of their own careers. Disney might have boosted the group into stardom, but stifled them creatively. The Disney brand is good for child stars, but once all grown up, it’s hard to get out of that image. But the Jonas Brothers decided they wouldn’t let that hold them back, or be defined by that image.

Taking a break from that spotlight gave the brothers a chance to come into their own as grown, sexy men, as opposed to the charming young boys fans grew to love. Nick returned to Broadway – his first love (as only as true JoBros fan would know), in plays such as Les Miserables. Joe tried his hand at acting in the TV Land Sitcom, Hot in Cleveland, opposite Betty White. And Kevin, stepped out of the spotlight of his two younger brothers and snagged a reality show on E!, Married to Jonas with his wife Danielle.

The now grown and sexy brothers are back with a new single and video, Pom Poms to show the fans a different side to them, the real Jonas Brothers – not that Disney stuff. Suggestive lyrics, new haircuts, styles, and some twerking – nope these aren’t the same boys from Jersey who went to the Year 3000 or who said everything would be alright When You Look Me in the Eyes. The video is refreshing compared to others they have had in the past, it’s different. Maybe the refreshing part is the realness of the skin showing girls twerking in the video. Started from Disney, now they have girls twerking in their video. Who would ever expect that from the purity ring wearing Jonas Brothers? But it just goes to show that they are men, and they’re not trying to hide who they are. Even Nick gets into a little dancing in the video, not twerking of course, but he has some rhythm. The song itself does have some suggestive lyrics that have never before been heard by the JoBros, like “More to love when your hands are free, baby put your pom poms down for me, come on shake it up 123, baby put your pom poms down for me.” Interpretations of these lyrics are left up to the imagination of the listener, but can’t doubt that they are clever.

This was just about the best material ever imagined from them, unexpected, but real. It was not a huge leap from child star into adulthood, it was just right. It wasn’t Miley Cyrus smoking salvia, chopping off her hair, and getting engaged to show she is grown. It wasn’t Justin Bieber acting out in public and getting random tattoos. It has honest; they stayed true to the Jonas Brothers, just older and better, no 180s here. But one thing that hasn’t changed – Joe is still the lead, but Nick always steals the show. Try reversing the roles little fellas. People want to hear more Nick.

Since taking over their own music careers and building Jonas Brothers LLC, they’ve certainly come a long way. Choosing “Pom Poms” as their comeback single and video could not have been a better choice. Hopefully their fans support the new them. Whatever comes next definitely should be amazing. Look out for The Jonas Brothers’ summer 2013 tour dates and an album coming soon!

Brianna M. Williams is a student in the School of Communication at American University in Washington, D.C. She is studying print journalism, with minors in graphic design and marketing. Currently, Brianna is a seventeen social club member for Seventeen Magazine, an online marketing assistant in American University's School of Communication, and a chapter advisor for Her Campus. Dance Moms and E! News are her guilty pleasures. And she loves the feeling and smell of a new magazine, as much as she loves opening a new pair of shoes.