Chris El-Dabh ’13: AU Student Media Board Chair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Tell us about yourself.

I’m a graduating senior from Cleveland, Ohio. I’m a huge Cleveland sports fan as tough as that can be sometimes all the time. I am currently the AU Student Media Board Chair. 

Why did you decide to come to AU?

I knew I wanted to study communications and was excited by SOC. I have family in the area and when I visited AU, I loved it and was excited about the opportunities the city had to offer.

How did you get involved with the Student Media Board and what is the board currently doing?

During my freshman year, I got involved in ATV, AU’s student-run television station.  Throughout my time at AU, I’ve always been interested in the school’s student media organizations. 

The Media Board consists of the eight student media organizations on campus.  Right now, AmLit, AWOL and AmWord are all preparing for the release of their spring issues. ATV and The Eagle just finished their great coverage of the student government elections. The Talon is contiuing to put together the yearbook, compiled a great photo collective over the past year and is holding its second seasonal photoshoot next week. As you all know, Her Campus American is hosting SELF Magazine for “Workout on the Quad” at the end of the month. WVAU has collaborated with GW and The University of Maryland to put togehter a Deerhunter concert at the end of the month. 

The Media Board just recently officially welcomed The Eagle as a member of the board which is incredibly exciting. The Media Board is also currently in the process of moving towards one content management system for the eight different organizations. 

The Media Board elections were last week, and I’m excited about the future of each media organization and the Student Media Board moving forward.

Why did you decide to take a leadership role?

As a freshman, I worked on SportsZone, ATV’s roundtable sports show where I was a panelist and later a co-producer. Gradually, I took on more of a leadership role and really enjoyed getting freshman and newcomers accustomed. I wanted to take a leadership role in student media because I was excited by the opportunity of playing a hand in collaborating with AU’s media organizations and enhancing their presence on campus. 

What is the biggest challenge that you face in this position?

My biggest challenge is making sure that the Student Media Board is representing the best interests of all eight organizations both financially and practically. That’s also what I enjoy the most. I definitely like cultivating  my relationships with all eight media organizations and their leaders, trying to ensure their needs are met. 

What else on campus are you involved in?

For the most part, my campus activities this year have  revolved around student media. In the past, I have worked for ATV and A.U. Athletics, where I broadcasted sports games and put together highlight videos. 

What do you see yourself doing in the future career wise?

I don’t really have a “dream job” but I would like to pursue a career in sports public relations and marketing. 

Favorite spot on campus: I’m usually in MGC 250 or MGC 256 entrenched in student media. But when I’m not, I enjoy hanging out at the Dav and Megabytes. 

Favorite Class at AU: “Sports Communication” taught by Meredith Geisler

Best DC adventure you’ve had: During my freshman year, a few friends and I trekked to the national mall for a snowball fight during the Snowpocalypse which was pretty fun. 

Any advice you’d like to give us?

Get involved. Go to some informational meetings and stay even after you get your free food. AU has so many different clubs and organizations, making it possible for nearly every student to channel his or her passion. Also, join student media!