The CAVA Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

We all know and love that cool little restaurant right off the shuttle stop in Tenleytown- you know, the one where you can get anything you want with a pita on the side. Cava Mezze Grill, the place that provides us with that fast, delicious Mediterranean meal, is actually a whole lot more than just that. In 2006, three longtime friends of Greek descent got to thinking- why  had no one ever thought to open a mezze style Greek restaurant here in DC? Through hardships and struggles, the team of three opened only 4 months later- Cava Restaurant was a hit, making it to the Washingtonian Magazine Top 100. Due to its popularity, 3 new locations were opened, and they began selling their popular products in natural markets and Whole Foods.

Based off of their success, the friends decided to create what we know as Cava Mezze Grill in 2011. Brining their delicious flavors that are also found in Cava Restaurant, the grill offers a casual setting for the more budget and time constrained customers. What many don’t know about Cava is that the company is completely dedicated to bringing forth only the most honest ingredients, and the highest quality of food. As you may have seen advertised on the walls of the locations, or maybe read in the menu, all protein is sourced from farmers who raise their animals humanely, without hormones or additives. Additionally, their dips and spreads are made locally in their production facility in Rockville, MD from fresh produce. 

Why does all of this matter? Sure, you know that the food is amazing and the locations are cool looking, and the food is affordable and fast. But, what is the most incredible thing about this company is their dedication to the community, to the locations in which they operate, and to the world. They incorporate sustainable practices into each location such as recycling programs, and partner with local organizations to promote healthy eating. The Cava Culture is one that cannot be borrowed or invented the company has successfully evolved the entire food experience to be smarter, healthier, and transparent. Deeply rooted in the Greek traditions, Cava has created a food culture that will forever endure, and will evolve how you eat.

This Cava Culture is just the foundation of a company that is spreading, and growing. Announced this summer, Cava Grill is opening three new locations this fall in downtown, and in Maryland, along with entering Virginia in early 2015. This week, Cava opened their Chinatown location, introducing new menu items and creating deeper relationships with local farmers, and local community partners. At each new opening, the company has a tradition of opening their doors to all in the community, offering free meals with an encouraged donation to their local community partners. This just showcases the company’s dedication to innovation, evolution, and attentiveness to not only the immediate community but to altering the fast causal dining market. Some features offered in these new locations are: pita made from scratch based off a partnership with local Optimal Grains, Greek Wines and Beer on tap, open kitchen layouts, rotating seasonal menus, information displayed on nutrition, and sourcing partners, and featured items from local partners Whisked!, Gordy’s Pickle Jar and Runningbyrd Tea.

So, if you haven’t hopped on the Cava bandwagon yet, go give it a try and you’ll see what all the rave is about. It is rare to come across a company that puts so much into the food you eat, and that works so hard to give back to the communities you live in. Take that trip down to the new location in Chinatown and make sure you keep an eye out for the other new locations in MD and VA, opening soon!

For more information, and to get connected, visit cavagrill.com, Twitter + Instagram: @cavagrill and Facebook

Photo Source: 1 3