Campus Cutie: Collin Harvel ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Name: Collin Harvel

Major: International Relations with a concentration in Peace, Global Security, and Conflict Resolution

Hometown: Morristown, Tennessee

Her Campus American University: What is your favorite spot on campus?

Collin Harvel: MGC Rooftop

HCAU: What is your favorite spot in DC?

CH: The WWII Memorial at sunset

HCAU: If you could travel anywhere in the world for free, where would you go?

CH: One time I saved this really cool Airbnb in Bali, so probably there.

HCAU: What is one of the funniest things that has happened to you?

CH: I walked into my dorm at the end of freshman year to find one of my friends that didn’t live there duct-taping my roommate’s bedding into a giant ball. Yes, I have videos.

HCAU: Are you a breakfast, lunch, or dinner guy? Following that, what would your last meal be?

CH: Really depends on when you catch me, but I’d say I’m pretty big on breakfast. I’d have Mammaw’s (southern, I know) biscuits and sausage-gravy, scrambled eggs, home fries, fruit, and coffee.

HCAU: What are your two truths and a lie?

CH: 1) I went on a diet for 2 weeks where I couldn’t eat food dye.

2) I’m an SIS student, but haven’t been out of the country.

3) My doctor told me I was gonna keep growing so my license says I’m 6’1.

HCAU: When asked on the first day of classes every semester, what is your “fun fact?”

CH: Honestly, I usually just make up something random that’s lowkey completely false.

HCAU: What is your ideal date?

CH: That’s a tough one. I’d have to say April 25th. Because it’s not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.

HCAU: Ha ha, very funny!

HCAU: If money was not an object, what would be your dream job?

CH: Definitely a teacher and coach in a low-income area. I grew up in a rural and impoverished area and I’ve experienced firsthand the impact that a great educator can have on children’s lives.

HCAU: If you could change anything in the world, what would it be?

CH: I think I would want to change how people perceive each other. We all approach every situation we find ourselves in with these often unfounded presuppositions about one another. I think it would fix so many problems if humans approached one another with a blank slate mindset and remained open to ideas from everyone. So I would end prejudice.

To get to know more about Collin (aka Colly), you can find him at the front desk in the library, or enjoying a nice cup of coffee at the Davenport. 

(All photos belong to Collin Harvel)