Athletics at AU: Ronja Kleinholz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Meet Ronja Kleinholz, a member of American University’s Cheer Team!

Her Campus American University: Can you tell us about yourself?

Ronja Kleinholz: Hello! I’m a senior from Tucson, Arizona, and I’m majoring in Broadcast Journalism with a Philosophy minor. I’m a member of Phi Sigma Pi, work for AV, and of course a member of the American University Cheer Team! 

HCAU: When did you join AU Spirit?

RK: I joined my freshman year, and it has been the best experience of my entire college career!

HCAU: What has been one of your favorite experiences on the team?

RK: I always want to joke about how breaking my nose was my best experience, but I’ll save that story for another day. One of my favorite experiences is our annual trip to nationals in Daytona Beach! At nationals we get to represent our school and show everyone how far we’ve come, what we’ve been working on, and how great we can be.

HCAU: What does any average day look like for you?

RK: It really varies! We all have different schedules during the day, and most of us are involved in clubs or have jobs. But, come 8:00 pm we all head to Bender Arena and spend three hours doing what we love!

HCAU: Being a student-athlete means taking care of yourself physically. What’s the best nutrition or exercise advice you’ve received or would pass along?

RK: Sleep above all! There is no way you will be able to take care of yourself if you are not getting enough of it! Other than that, remember that you’re eating and eating well, and exercising. What works for one person can’t work for everyone, but make sure you figure out what kind of routine works for you.

HCAU: What has been one of the most challenging parts of being a student athlete?

RK: The time commitment definitely, but I pride myself on saying I can be a full time student, full time student-athlete, part time worker, and full-time friend with no issue. It took a while to get used to but now I almost feel weird when I’m not super busy.

HCAU: What advice do you have for students who are interested in joining AU Spirit?

RK: Don’t be afraid to reach out, we are always happy to answer any questions or concerns. And just know that it is a time commitment, but it is also a family, and there’s really nothing better! #AUSpiritForever

Photo credits belong to Ronja Kleinholz and AU Cheer.