Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

American Archives

How to Become American’s Best Trendsetter Ever

By Aja Frost
August 18, 2014 - 8:00am

boohoo.com has been on our style radar for a while now—where else do you think we’ve been getting our Euro-inspired summer looks this season? Once the U.K.’s best-kept secret (and now one of the fastest-growing international e-tailers), boohoo has quickly evolved into a global fashion leader for collegiettes on both sides of the pond. We’re obsessed with its simple and fun philosophy: don’t take fashion or life too seriously! Plus, the brand has been pushing boundaries to bring us all the latest looks for less since 2006, and we never say no to fashion on a collegiette-friendly budget!...

Upperclassman's Guide to Freshman Year

By Mireille Olivo
August 16, 2014 - 5:00am

Hello and welcome to American University; home of the eagles, political crazies, and biddies.  It's our pleasure to be the first to give you the lowdown on American.  This list encompasses everything from food, frats, friends and fashion.  Listen to this and feel free to refer back to it throughout the year. 1) Take off the lanyard We see you wearing it and it's the biggest indication that you are a freshman. We will always know you are a freshman, but we don't want to see you struggle with the lanyard and nametags. 2) Don't intern right away READ MORE

What is the part of summer you're not looking forward to?

By Claire Shriver

6 Ways to Move On

By Mireille Olivo
May 30, 2014 - 12:30pm

Even the most passionate of romances come to an end.  People fall in and out of love repeatedly, especially while in college. The end of semester romance or summer fling will extinguish almost as quickly as the romance started. However, falling out of love and ending even a crush is still tough. The key is learning how to forget someone and fall out of love. 1)   Accept the Reality READ MORE

Celebrate Graduation With HC American's Grad Gift Guide on eBay!

By American Contributor
May 19, 2014 - 12:00am

Graduation may be over, but HC American knows that there are still other things on your mind: leaving your friends, potentially moving to a new place, and figuring out how to navigate the real world. However, it doesn't have to be all sad -- after all, graduating from American is a huge accomplishment! To celebrate, we put together these two gift collections on eBay just for you. Browse them, choose your favorites, and share the links with your family members! If they're not biting, consider splurging on yourself and celebrate by purchasing that coveted bag or camera you’ve had your eye on. After all, this is a celebration of you and all of your accomplishments!  These are some of our favorite items: ...

4 Ways To De-Stress This Finals Season

By Allison August
May 14, 2014 - 4:00am

With finals right around the corner, the anxiety can feel overwhelming. Here are some ways to relieve the stress and make it through the end of the semester! 1. Schedule a time to go to the gym. The endorphins will brighten your mood and help your focus. 2. Soak up the sun. The rays will help more than just your complexion. 3. Change your scenery. The library is only interesting for so long...try a new study spot. READ MORE

Beauty and Fashion Tutorials on YouTube

By Vivian Chen
May 11, 2014 - 4:00am

With over a billion views on the site every day, YouTube is quickly becoming one of the most popular and evolving sites on the internet. After its creation in 2005, YouTube has become one of many social media outlets where people can display their creativity and personality. Whether it's music videos, cute animal videos or comedic sketches, you’ve probably watched your fair share of YouTube videos. READ MORE

New Albums Just In Time For Summer

By Hayley Markovich
May 10, 2014 - 4:00am

Music is a summer staple. It provides the soundtrack to our beach days with friends, bonfires at night, or long road trips. Summer 2014 won't be complete without the necessary song of summer. Be sure to look out for these albums which all come out just in time for Summer 2014.  The Black Keys: Turn Blue READ MORE

Summer Smoothies

By Gabby Vazquez
May 10, 2014 - 4:00am

Summer is right around the corner, which means hot and humid weather. It also means you have more time on your hands. Time to make smoothies! Go out and stock up on fresh fruit and try out these fun recipes. Smoothies can be really healthy for you, especially if you make them yourself and skip all the added sugar you may find in ones you get at smoothie shops. They are a perfect way to kick start your day, enjoy as a dessert, or a quick snack. Mango and Cream Smoothie Ingredients: READ MORE

Avoid the Dog Days of Summer

By Elisha Brown
May 10, 2014 - 4:00am

We’ve all experienced letting a long break distract us from getting anything done. What’s the problem? The dog days of summer, also known as the summer slide. With summer comes hazy days, spontaneous beach trips and just letting time fly. Before you’ve realized it, it’s already time to pack your bags and start renting books for the fall. A major side effect of the season? Laziness. I’m talking days spent in bed re-watching One Tree Hill and eating stale tortilla chips with questionable-looking salsa for lunch, followed by a sleeve of Oreos for dinner. READ MORE