Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

American Archives

Cherry-Inspired Recipes to Celebrate the D.C. Blossoms

By Emma Thomas
April 22, 2014 - 11:00pm

Spring has finally come to D.C. and the smell of cherry blossoms is in the air! Washington, D.C. is known for its massive number of cherry trees that blossom across the city. Every April, D.C. holds several cherry blossom-centered events including festivals, fireworks, and parades. To get into the spring cherry season, here are four tasty cherry recipes to try with your friends! Cherry Cheesecake Stuffed Frenchtoast READ MORE

Phlashback Phollies

By Monica Bogan
April 22, 2014 - 1:52pm

Feeling a little nostalgic lately? Come out to the AU Ampitheater this Friday to participate in AE Phi's Phlashback Phollies!  You may have seen people tabling telling you to come out for Phollies. Phollies is a singing and dancing competition for the Greek community, with all proceeds benefitting the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, or EGPAF. Each organization will receive a list of words that they need to incorporate in the lyrics of some of your favorite throwbacks, which they will perform with a dance. These numbers will be judged by a select panel of judges.  READ MORE

Women Who Run the World: Rachel Carson

By Addie Cox
April 22, 2014 - 12:18pm

In honor of Earth Day 2014, today’s “Women Who Run the World” goes out to Rachel Carson. Never heard of her? Most people haven’t. Yet, Carson is responsible for one the greatest social, political, and scientific movements of modern history– environmentalism. READ MORE

5 Places to Tan and Enjoy Spring Not on the Quad

By Connie Wu
April 22, 2014 - 5:00am

Now that the weather is warmer, the quad is getting more crowded, filled with frisbee players, students attempting to study and footballs being thrown over your head. Not everyone feels comfortable just laying on the quad, where everyone at American can just watch you tan. Some people just like to relax in the sun in peace while the quad gets noisy. Here are 5 places to tan and enjoy the sun on campus.  1. McKinley’s rooftop READ MORE

Curly Hair: The Prettiest Little Liar

By Arielle Witter
April 22, 2014 - 5:00am

To all my fellow curly-haired ladies out there, this one is for you. For any of you who don’t know, having curly hair is a perpetual struggle. I’ve been battling with it for 19 years now, and my hair is the reigning champ. I’ve given up to the point where I’ve recently decided to start straightening my hair once a week, to make my life and everyone else’s easier. People who don’t have curly hair will always look at you and say, “Oh but it’s so pretty! It looks so good on you,” out of pity. The people saying this do not know the struggle (and how real it is). So what I’m going to do is provide you all with a little insight on what the daily fight is like for anyone who has curly hair....

Kristen Krystowski: WVAU "Tasty Tropics" DJ

By Addie Cox
April 22, 2014 - 4:00am

Meet Kristen Krystowski, an Ohio native, SIS sophomore, and WVAU DJ. Her show “Tasty Tropics” is just what you need to ring in the spring sun. Here’s her take on the hour long show, Sundays from 12:00-1:00 PM. Her Campus AU: How would you describe the “Tasty Tropics” vibe? READ MORE

Spring in a Skater Skirt

By Elisha Brown
April 22, 2014 - 4:00am

You can never go wrong with an A-line. Brenna Fawson '17 flaunts her signature style in a skirt from Forever 21 and a lightweight, patterned sweater from H&M. Even though it's April, D.C. weather is still bipolar. She added knit socks from Urban Outfitters and Steve Madden boots for comfort and warmth. Brenna finished the look with a Juicy Couture crossbody bag. Be on the look out for Brenna's T-shirt artwork when the Gold Soul Tees sophomore collection rolls out later this month!    READ MORE

What is the best part of the last week of classes?

By Claire Shriver

Delta Tau Delta's Cornhole for a Cure

By Emily Arnold
April 21, 2014 - 1:56pm

Join the fraternity of Delta Tau Delta this Wednesday for Cornhole for a Cure, a philanthropy event supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. JDRF aims to progressively remove the impact of Type 1 diabetes from people’s lives until a world without T1D is achieved. $5 gets each participant a turn at a cornhole board of their choosing, food from the grill and a Robek’s smoothie while supplies last. Bring your friends and come out to support this great cause! For more information and to RSVP, visit the Facebook event page. READ MORE

Fun Places Off-Campus to Study for Finals

By Allie Erenbaum
April 21, 2014 - 6:00am

A feeling of dread encompasses us college students when the word “finals” is merely spoken. Combined with a plethora of projects and papers, finals week leaves everyone in a state of panic and frenzy. Most students can be found flooding AU’s library, quad, and academic buildings to study for endless hours at a time. Why not break the finals slump and study somewhere off-campus? D.C. provides many engaging alternatives that will help you feel more motivated and energized when studying (or cramming) for your final exams. 1) The National Mall READ MORE