This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Even the most passionate of romances come to an end.  People fall in and out of love repeatedly, especially while in college. The end of semester romance or summer fling will extinguish almost as quickly as the romance started. However, falling out of love and ending even a crush is still tough. The key is learning how to forget someone and fall out of love.

1)   Accept the Reality

This person, whoever it may be, is gone and coming to terms with that is one of the most difficult yet crucial steps. Don’t give him or her any excuses. If he or she treats you poorly, that will never change. And if you act a bit crazy, accept that these things happened and learn. Give yourself some time if necessary, but remember the goal to get back out there. Looking back too much just prevents you from moving forward.

2)   Not the only one

Though he or she might have seemed like the one and only in your life, there are ample people in this world to fulfill the role of your once lover. This person doesn’t even have to be a man, but could be some of your very best friends. Take this time to reconnect to the friends and family in your life. Remember to keep your head up because you deserve more from someone that understands everything about you.

3)   Keep yourself busy

Shifting your focus from your ex to anything else is vital to moving on. The exes are always watching or waiting to hear on what you have been up to since the break up and being busy is one of the greatest revenges.  Start rock climbing again, playing the guitar, or even start reading, getting back to activities you once loved is also a fantastic way to keep your mind off of him. Especially if moving apart was not what you exactly intended to happen, keep yourself busy.

4)   If it were meant to be, you will find each other again

At the end of the semester when you go home and you think that you will never see your graduate crush again, just remember if it was meant to be, it will happen. Otherwise refer to #2 because there are so many more fish in the sea.

5)   Learn from this experience to apply to future relationships

Most look back on relationships and think of all the time they wasted with someone. Take this time to reflect and see what you might have learned about yourself. Sometimes a break up can show true colors whether for the better or the worse. However, do not reflect immediately after the break up. Wait until you have moved on

6)   Go out and date around

Isn’t the best defense a good offense? Ask a stranger to dance, tinder it up, or simply say yes to someone.  Go out and have fun because one person isn’t worth losing a good night over.

Mireille Olivo is a senior at American University studying Public Communication with a minor in health promotion. She is a self-proclaimed southern belle, sunset enthusiast, avid rock climber, Quentin Tarantino fan, and smiler.  When she isn't writing for HCAU, y'all can find her giving tours or strolling alongside the Potomac river. After graduation, Mireille plans on pursuing a career in public relations for the political movement.