6 Ways to Exercise Around D.C. This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Although some days it may seem like the weather will never get warmer, Spring is just around the corner.  As the snow melts and the cherry blossoms begin to bloom, it’s hard to resist spending some time outdoors. Here are some fun ways to kill three birds with one stone: get a good workout, exlore DC, and enjoy the warm weather.

1. Paddleboard on the Potomac

The Key Bridge Boathouse in Georgetown rents out stand-up paddleboards, as well as single-person and two-person kayaks. Make your way up and down the Potomac River within view of the Kennedy Center, Theodore Roosevelt Island, and Georgetown.

2. Cycle the streets

You’d be surprised how efficient biking is: in less than half an hour you can get from AU’s campus to Adams Morgan, U Street, Bethesda, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, or downtown. And with some additional prior research it’s easy to find the perfect route for you – one that either takes advantage of hilly streets or avoids them. And if you don’t have your own bike, no worries- citibikes and Capital Bikeshare bikes are available to pick up and drop off all over DC.

3. Lincoln Memorial Steps workout

You don’t have to buy a fancy gym membership to exercise in the presence of heads of state… just use the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to do this killer cardio workout:

Walk up and down the steps for a warmup

Run up and down the steps x 5

Run halfway up sideways to the left x 5

Run halfway up sideways to the right x 5

Walk all the way up and down for a break

Run all the way up skipping every other step x 5 (jog down)

Hop halfway up the steps with your legs and feet together x 5 (jog down)

Lunge all the way up, skipping as many as you need depending on the size of your stride x 2 (jog down)

Squat jump halfway up x 2 (jog down)

Run all the way up and down x 3

Walk all the way up and down for a cool down.

4. Jog on the canal next to the Potomac

…The Capital Crescent Trail is another beautiful jogging route.

5. Hike Rock Creek Park

Rock Creek Park is a U.S. national park that runs through D.C. Start at the Massachusetts Avenue entrance near the Avalon apartments and follow it all the way to Georgetown. Extra points if you incorporate D.C.’s favorite sport- brunch- into this excursion.

6. Play Beach Volleyball

Maybe D.C. isn’t a beach, but there are sand volleyball courts. Gather a group of friends and head to the Parkway Drive Volleyball Courts, just a stone’s throw away from the monuments.

Can you tell we’re excited for Spring? 

Photo Credits: 1- Alexis Danchak, 23456