6 Things to be Thankful for at American

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Thanksgiving. Your last reprieve before finals and probably the first time you’ve seen some of your relatives in a while. While we all enjoy a little time off with family, friends, and of course delicious food, we have to remember the meaning behind the holiday as well. Thanksgiving is about giving thanks for all of the wonderful things we are blessed with in our lives, and at American there is no shortage of things to be grateful for. 

1. Great Professors

Not every college can boast they have professors published in national journals, who have presented at world summits, and who are employed by the federal government. While some professors may be more challenging than others, most of them know what they are talking about. So go to class. Use office hours. Be thankful for the people who provide you with this great education. 

2. The Classes

American offers such a wide variety of classes! From the famous School of International Service to Kogod, AU gives students opportunities to experiment and explore in almost every subject out there. Just check out the catalogue! Did you know you can take a semester to study the effects of nuclear radiation in Fukushima, Japan? Or take a class on the Hunger Games? And of course we have to give thanks for the blessing that is freshman forgiveness. 

3. Friendliness

AU’s spirit of kindness was present to me on my very first day on campus. From strangers who hold the door open to someone starting a new conversation with you on the shuttle, we should appreciate this culture of kindness. After all, a simple kind gesture makes even the worst of Mondays a little more bearable. 

4. Good Friends

During Eagle Summit my OL leader told me, “You have your high school friends, and then you have your AU friends. The friends you make here are ones you will carry with you through life.” At the time I couldn’t imagine making better friends than the ones I had at home, but within a few short months I have created memories and friendships I know will last. Be thankful for the friends you have and the ones you will make in your next few years at American. 

5. The Location

From free events on the Mall to trick-or-treating on the Embassy Row, Washington D.C. is a playground for budget-minded college students. Not only does D.C. offer great entertainment options, but internship and learning opportunities in some of the most influential and coveted companies and government offices as well.

6. The Scenery

Washington D.C.’s location boasts more than just amazing internship and entertainment opportunities. The scenery on campus and off is spectacular in any season, especially in the winter and fall. Why not take some time and head down to Rock Creek Park to relax and enjoy nature before you head home for break? Take in the views on one of the trails along the Potomac as well before the fall scenery disappears! 

Photo credits: 1 2 3 4 5 

Kari is currently a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and a contributing writer to Her Campus American. She enjoys trolling tinder, chocolate chip pancakes, and Keeping Up with Kardashians.