The 6 Kinds of Besties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

There are always those people in your life who take on important roles in different areas. These people are the best and because of all that they do for us, we can’t help but label them “bestie.”

1. The Childhood bestie. We all have them, and whether we are lucky enough to still be just as close as we once were when we were busy chasing the ice-cream man down the street together, or building forts in our backyards, you know who that person is. You will always have those memories, and shared secrets. And although many of us grew apart from these convenient friendships, you can’t deny the fact that you will always be quietly rooting each other on. When you pass each other on the street, you still see that same young girl with the gap between her front teeth and the sun-bleached pig tails. 

2. The College bestie. Sure we haven’t been here long, some of us less than a year. Yet, there is just something about a college atmosphere that brings out the best within all of us. You never know when you’re going to find that person, but when you do she’s your one and only. How could you survive these four years without each other? The only person who knows to get ready to catch you when they see you running towards them. The person who has seen you at your worst at 3am in the library, and most importantly knows all of your class schedules, without having to ask, just so that you can share the optimal amount of lunches at the dining hall together. 

3. The guy bestie. There is a much different dynamic shared with these lucky guys. Yet, these much needed men in our lives will always provide us with that voice of reason. They provide you with a sense of protection and an escape from the everyday dramas that girls seem to live for. 

4. Frenemy– This friend is the one that you just love to hate. She keeps you on your toes and gives you something to fight for. But you know, if you were ever given the chance you would never let her go. She gets that drive going within you, and you secretly thank her for it. She’s your frenemy, and only you two are able to create that fire within eachother’s hearts. 

5. The roommate bestie– Now not all of us are fortunate to be blessed with one of these, but when you are hold on tight. These kind of friends are hard to come by, but you’ll know you’ve got one when you find yourselves singing song lyrics to each other, hours after you’ve turned out the lights. This will be the only person to ever have the pleasure of seeing you wax your arms, and the one person you can take your frustrations out on, while always knowing that all will be forgiven before your nightly talks. 

6. And last but not least, the all around best friend. We all have our own versions of this anchor in our lives. Whether this person embodies one, many or none of the other categories above there is just something about this individual that when you hear their name spoken, it makes you smile. This person will always hold a special place in your heart and even through times of geographical distance you know that nothing will ever separate your ties. This person is able to easily shape their way into any area of your life that you need assistance with, and we may not always verbalize how appreciative we are of them for this, but there will always be new ways to show it. 

Photo Credit:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6