5 Valentine’s Day Activities for All The Single Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Calling all singles! We’ve all been there: having no one to spend the day of love with but your lonesome self. Thinking about eating a pint of Ben & Jerry’s while crying your eyes out over The Notebook? Or throwing a “I Hate Valentine’s Day” party? Try again. Here are five things you can do this Valentine’s Day that won’t leave you envious of the women receiving bad chocolates and cheap teddy bears. 

1. Fifty Shades of Grey

This new steamy romance flick is sure to be hit. See it the first weekend it comes out in theaters and you’ll surely be running home to read the book series (if you haven’t already)! Don’t forget your popcorn and candy.

2. Ice Skating

Instead of sulking around in your dorm room, venture out to the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Ice Rink on the National Mall. The ice rink is open through mid-March. Admission is $7 for students with a valid school ID. For an inexpensive, fun day on the National Mall, the Sculpture Garden Ice Rink won’t disappoint. 

3. Babysit

While every couple will be going out for a dinner date, why not babysit and make some money? Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity to make some pocket money. The American University Student Government Jobs & Internship Board lists plenty of postings for babysitting jobs in the D.C. area. Browse the job postings.

4. Netflix

In case you didn’t know, Netflix recently added all 10 seasons of Friends. That means you can binge-watch all night and never run out of episodes to watch. Catch up on Friends or your favorite Netflix shows. Netflix is by far the most totally reliable date for V-Day. Don’t have a Netflix account? Sign up!

5. Mani/Pedis

Valentine’s Day is all about love…so why not show yourself some love? Grab a few friends and get manicures and pedicures at a D.C. nail salon. Try out some fun colors or nail designs. Not only will your nails look great, but you’ll have fun with your friends doing it.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5