rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for When You’re on Your Period, and You Have Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

All of the mental health advice in this article is the author’s own.

Anxiety—over 30% of teenage girls have it. Periods—exactly 100% of teenage girls get them. With numbers like these, it’s obvious that there a lot of young girls who have to endure that one overwhelming week (well, more overwhelming than usual) out of every month juggling both their periods and their anxiety. It can be extremely difficult to navigate the crimson wave in general, but doing so with a mental health disorder is even harder, especially when few people are willing to talk you through it. Luckily, mental health is finally beginning to inch its way into the political arena, but anxiety is still something that’s all too often swept under the rug. 

Now, having anxiety in addition to your period is a whole other story. We all know periods are stressful. I get anxiety just thinking about when and how I’ll be greeting Uncle T.o.m. (oh yeah, warning: you may experience anxiety while reading this—if so, just skip to the tips and tricks). Needless to say, if you’re unlucky enough to have bad cramps, the pain alone is enough to set off a panic attack. Our bodies just can’t handle all of the different things going on at one time, and I don’t blame them—I can barely make cereal and toast at the same time without causing a fire in my kitchen. Basically, there are just a lot of extra things to be worried about when you’re on your period.

So, here are some tips on alleviating your anxiety while suffering through that visit from your Aunt Flo, as told by a girl who had to learn them the hard way.

1. Count to ten

I know it sounds so redundant, and I didn’t pay attention to this simple trick at first, but now it’s really what helps me through an anxiety attack. Do it slowly, and really visualize the numbers in your head. I find that adding detail to my numbers (like imagining fun chevron patterns in the 1 or visualizing different-colored polka dots in the 5) forces my mind to direct its attention to the activity and takes it off of the period worries.

2. Breathe

Again, obvious. But, breathing in deeply forces you to think about the task at hand and not about the increasing sweat beads on your back and palms.

3. Think of your happy place

Sensing a pattern here? Essentially, doing something other than obsessively worrying about changing your pad/tampon is what quenches that anxiety, but it has to be something that you can really focus on and not be easily distracted from, so make sure it’s interesting to you. That’s why envisioning a happy place works for most girls, because dreaming up a fantasy island getaway in the Maldives is actually fun, and it’s something you can really put your energy toward.

4. Drink water and exercise

This one can be kind of hard. But, mild exercise is actually a natural reliever of period pain (unfortunately for those who like to veg out on the couch like me, this tip is most effective when you work out every day of the month…yes, that means every month). Also, exercising is just a good way to get those endorphins going, which can help out that anxiety. And, of course, water is just good for you. Replenishing the 60% of your body that is H2O just helps in general, which is always much needed when you’re still expected to finish that essay during your t.o.m. (if only we could be excused from all obligations during that time). Don’t overdo the exercise, though; doing so can make you feel worse than you already do, and we all know that no one on their period needs that.

5. Close your eyes and imagine your heartbeat slowing down

I get more anxiety over my period pain when I’m taking a shower. Maybe it’s because I can’t curl up into the fetal position while taking a shower. Either way, it can be hard not to get worried over the impending doom that comes when you slip and fall in the shower, and that worry is only multiplied when you’re also worrying about bleeding all over your towel when you dry off (even with a tampon, I can’t shake the feeling). But, I’ve found that just dunking my head under the warm, running water can really calm me down and let me focus on slowing down my heartbeat. If you’ve ever read The Secret, then you know that envisioning something helps it come true—so, believe that your heart rate is slowing back down to a normal pace, and soon enough, your body will be back in sync.

So, the next time you’re not in the flow with your flow, just. breathe.

Also, sorry for all the period puns.​

Photo Credit: 1

Ashlyn Peter

American '20

Ashlyn is a Journalism major and International Relations minor at American University in Washington, D.C. She just got back from studying abroad in Paris, France, so you can find her eating croissants and sipping café au lait to relive the magic in her free time.