5 Tips for Mastering Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

If you own an iPhone or Android, you are probably aware of the growingly popular Instagram application that allows user to take, upload and add color filters to pictures while sharing with friends. Most people do not carry their digital cameras around all the time so using a mobile device lens is extremely convenient. With Instagram, instead of posting simple unedited images you can manipulate photos from your phone to create unique looking works of art. Although easy to do, here are a few points to maximize your work!

1. Think in Squares

Because most digital and film photography is taken in rectangles, is it difficult when using Instagram to mentally crop pictures into the square shape. At times I snap images on my phone and later load them into Instagram, but I have to cut the top and bottom part. By thinking in squares you stay consistent with the old Polaroid film theme that Instagram aims for and prevent images from looking too cropped.

2. Choose The Right Filter

It’s easy to think that no matter what color and frame alteration you use, the image will come out great. This may be true; however, picking the correct filter by the image’s coloring and content can turn a so-so Instagram into a masterpiece. There is no general rule for what border looks better or when black and white is best, so be sure to try all the possibilities.

Below is an example of how the first filter is more successful than the second. The Sutro filter on the right darkens the girl’s face and corners but Sierra gives the image a warm and appealing look.

3. Use The Tools

I am guilty of not using the tools on the top and bottom of the screen before I hit “done” and publish the picture. For starters, make sure you get rid of the frame options on the bottom after searching to see how the image will look in the newsfeed. Also, the brightness tool is very helpful if the image was dark when taken and the filter does not help. The tilt-shift tool is very popular as well.

4. Share!

As with all social media today, send your pictures to Facebook and Twitter so friends who do not have the application can see it. You have to manually slide the Twitter and Facebook switches for each picture, which can be hard to remember. Also, if your caption is longer than 140 characters, it will get cut off in your tweet (the link to the picture is included, too). Pictures on the computer always give more detail than on a phone, so be sure to look at your work when you’re at home. And don’t forget to hashtag!

5. Don’t Just Use Your Phone

I frequently load pictures taken with my DSLR digital camera to my phone’s album so that I can upload them on Instagram when I’m bored on the train or surfing the web. So, if you went on a phone-less vacation and really want to give that picture of your Pina-Colta a Polaroid film feel, sync it later and upload away! By using pictures not taken with your phone the quality is better and you do not worry about capturing moments with more than one camera. The best part about the application is that the creativity and opportunities are endless, making there no right or wrong way to use it! Instagram is free through the app store and lets you share all your images through Facebook, Twitter or Flickr. Check out Statigram if you want to manage your images online.

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.
Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.