This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Fall is finally here and you can practically smell the pumpkin spice in the air. As the weather changes, it’s time to put away the shorts and crop tops from summertime, and trade them in for your comfy favorites. Here are five fall fashion essentials to last you through the year.

Comfy Sweater

They don’t call fall forecasts “Sweater Weather” for nothing.  A warm, comfy sweater is a great investment because it matches well with just about anything. Throw on with a pair of leggings for a casual look for your 8:55 or dress it up by tucking a sweater into a patterned skater skirt. Check out this sweater and more cable knits at SheInside

Dark Skinny Jeans

Dark jeans are extremely versatile. Leave the light rinses in the summer and adopt a deep indigo hue to compliment the colors of the leaves. Get yours at American Eagle!

A Reliable Pair of Boots

While on a budget, it can be easy to skip the quality boots and opt for a cheaper pair of faux leather boots. But a pair of leather boots is definitely worth the purchase. Whether you need to save up for a few weeks or make a Christmas wish, you will thank yourself next year and the years after. Leather boots can stand up to the daily wear and tear that most man-made materials can’t handle. You can find name brand shoes for discounted prices at 6pm and Zappos!

Lightweight Jacket

Enjoy a cool fall breeze underneath a lightweight, super-cute jacket. You’ll only need it for a few months, so no need to splurge. Neutral toned jackets like beige, olive green, denim or brown can compliment virtually every outfit. Snag an Anorak like this one at H&M.

Scarves

A scarf serves the duel purpose of keeping you warm and stylish. They come in hundreds of prints and fabrics that can add a touch of personality to any outfit. You can wrap, tie, or fold them any way you like. Forever 21 can hook you up for as low as $5.

Lauren Lumpkin is a freshman majoring in Public Relations and Strategic Communication at American University in Washington, D.C. This self-proclaimed "foodie" from Cleveland, Ohio loves writing for HerCampus and blogging. In her free time, you can find her blasting music in her dorm room, watching movies, or working on DIY projects.