jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

We are loosing Spontaneity

Technology can be our best friend, and technology can also be the biggest party pooper of our lives. It interrupts our own story, interrupts our ability to have a thought or a daydream, to imagine something wonderful, because we’re too busy bridging the walk from the cafeteria back to the office on the cell phone. ~ Steven Spielberg

What if I tell you that everything you want in life, everything you need and deserve is out there. Is in the books, in the stuff you write, in the rain, in the sunset and in the good laugh. But the thing is, that we are stuck with technology. We found ourselves incapable to be free of what binds us. In this century the technology is incrementing in our daily lives, the use of the cellphones, tablets, computers and all that stimulation are making us less human. In fact, we are loosing spontaneity, because unconsciously we are being managed for electronic devices. Let’s not blame each other or feel guilty about it, because sometimes our jobs or assignments depend of technology. What we can control is how much impact technology has in our personal lives. In this article, I’m going to give you a few tips to start detaching from it.

1. Take 10 minutes a day for yourself and start contemplating what’s around you. Breathe and connect with your emotions, feel your humanity and the beauty that surrounds you. This is important, your emotions are not ”emojis”, you are real and the more technology you use, the more disconnect you get from yourself.
  2. When you are having a date with a friend or your partner, try to put aside your cellphone. It is important to be mindful to the conversation and if you want to connect with that person and have a better communication, you must disconnect from other things.
  3. When you go to bed, leave your cellphone, tablet or computer in your desk. Bed was made for rest, and when we take those things with us, our brain is activated and less sleep we get.
  4. Technology deprives us from socialization and therefore we keep loosing spontaneity. Let’s start to practice looking people into their eyes and not only to our cellphone screen.
  5. When was the last time you act spontaneously? When was the last time you took a walk or a bicycle ride? Although you maybe won’t believe, technology deprives you from activities that are healthy for your body and soul.

I hope these few tips; can help you understand the impact technology has in our lives. Don’t loose opportunities, moments and memories, because these three things make you human and sensitive to others.