Spanish Puerto Rican Music-Winter Olympics 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

These past weeks were the Winter Olympics Games 2018. This year, the competitions were awesome and had so many incredible athletes.

This time, I want to stand out the presence of the Spanish songs that were a key piece for many couples in the figure dancing category. 

Like mention The Fierce this past week, “The Olympics are in full swing”…”you might have noticed a whole lot of Latino flavor in the musical choices.” Also, the site Time says “Despacito is the clear winner of the 2018 Olympic Ice Dancing Competition”, this song was played almost 3 times different short dancing in the figure competition course.

If you still do not know, Despacito is sung by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee; two extraordinariness Puerto Rican artists. At the time of writing this article, this song had 4.8 billion views in YouTube. This song will be considered one of the most popular songs of all time, since it broke with the language barrier, like Luis Fonsi said in this interview with GC . This song definitely will be remember forever.

Other Latin artists whose Spanish songs are sound in this competition, was Hector Lavoe and Mark Anthony. The former champions of 2015 and two times world medalist, Madison Chock & Evan Bates, began with Aguanile Hector’s Lavoe’s song; every salsa lover knows it and it’s one song we can never go without dancing it. In addition to Aguanile, in their participation, the couple used the song Que Lio also from Hector Lavoe, and Vivir la Vida, by Marc Anthony. These interpretations help us to see the power of music; how it unites us and transcends barriers, cities, seas and continents.

As a Puerto Rican, lover of words and music, I can’t avoid having chills every time I hear and / or know that some remote country, our language and music arrives and even more, serves as an inspiration to create, as it was for each of these choreographies.

If you miss it, here are the videos:

Despacito

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

Mariely is a Puerto Rican writer who is passionate about personal and professional development. She is currently attending Carlos Albizu University in San Juan PR to get a PhD on Industrial and Organizational Psychology. She loves to read, write, take trainings and everything that helps her grow as a human being and professional.
Yarilix Santos is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Psychology. She is a DCP fall intern 2016  and research assistant. Loves to read, write and travel. In her free time you can find her either searching for new places to eat at Old San Juan or in a near coffee shop. She plans to go to grad school and study Industrial and Organizational Psychology