New Regulations for School Uniforms in Puerto Rico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

This past Monday, October 12, the radio station called NotiUno spoke about the new Curricular Letter of the Department of Education, and it was reported in the newspaper, El Nuevo Día. This letter caused discomfort in Puerto Rico, because there are several new regulations in the curricular letter 16-2015-2016 that was signed by the secretary of Education, Rafael Román, on September 9, and most parents didn’t know about it. This has generated confusion on the issues that the new curricular letter states. To understand, I’m going to illustrate the new regulations and what its main goal is.

The curricular letter consist of seven pages and aims to attend the two most important claims. First of all, the constant change of uniforms that involved parents with frequent and expensive purchases and the irregularities that some schools fall into when they change the uniform. Second, the unjust measures that are taken against students that for reason of weight, health, and any other reason, can’t use the school uniform correctly.  These claims had been issued by many school bodies that include parents, teachers, students and faculty. (Bauzá, 2015)

Schools should give a sense of belonging to the students and the new regulations in the curricular letter 16-2015-2016 helps all students feel a part of the school they assist.  The new regulations explain that all schools are required to offer uniform alternatives to all students. The curricular letter speaks about the legal aspects of the new implementations, advantages in the use of uniforms, the general guidelines of the use of the uniform and the procedures the school must take on behalf of the change of uniforms. (Carta Circular Número: 16-2015-2016, 2015)

One of the main points of the new regulation is to help ease the parents’ expenses so they don’t get involved in frequent or expensive purchases of uniforms. This prevents the school to demand a specific brand of uniform or give sponsorship to any brand. Also, the new regulations states that: “No disciplinary measures will be imposed upon a student that doesn’t use the school uniform approved by the School Board, for lack of economic resources, health, religion, state of emergency or for any other reason, like sexual orientation or gender identity, that could result in discriminatory or unreasonable judgment”. (Educación cambia política de uniformes Alertan de posibles casos de bullying por la falta de educación sobre la perspectiva de género, 2015; Carta Circular Número: 16-2015-2016, 2015). Also, it explains that the changes in uniform must be notified to parents with a priority period of 12 months before they are implemented.

The most drastic change in the Curricular Letter 16-2015-2016 has been one of the general norms that says in clause number nine: “It will not be imposed the use of any particular piece of clothing to students that don’t feel comfortable because of their sexual orientation or sexual identity. The Department of Education has the primary function to attend to the process of education and it will not participate in the emotional disturbance that this may cause”.  This measure has been taken to temper the Executive Order of Alejandro Garcia Padilla, Governor of Puerto Rico, so it can be guaranteed that there will not be discrimination against students on behalf of their sexual orientation or gender identity. This has brought various opinions on the matter by which the secretary of Education stated: “It is law for the public to not discriminate on behalf of gender identity and religion. It is a federal and state law.” (Bauzá, 2015)

In conclusion, the new regulations brings a written consent that obligates the Department of Education to compromise in the necessities of the student and parents providing them with a more comfortable environment that helps them feel acknowledged by the different School Boards towards their own necessities for the school uniform. This also provides consciousness about certain real issues in the school; like variation in weight, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, and others. These new regulations will help to promote an environment of respect for diversity and to achieve a more just society that has no place for discrimination.

References

Bauzá, N. (13 de octubre de 2015) Gobernador apoya carta circular sobre uso de uniformes en escuelas. Primera Hora. Recuperado el 15 de octubre de 2015 de http://www.primerahora.com/noticias/gobierno-politica/nota/gobernadorapo…

Carta Circular Número: 16-2015-2016. (9 de septiembre de 2015). Recuperado el 17 de octubre de 2015 de http://intraedu.dde.pr/Cartas%20Circulares/16-2015-2016.pdf

Educación cambia política de uniformes Alertan de posibles casos de bullying por la falta de educación sobre la perspectiva de género. (12 de octubre de2015) El Nuevo Día. Recuperado el 15 de octubre de 2015 de http://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/educacioncambiapoliticad…

Hi my name is Christian Alvarez, I'm 24 years old and I'm currently doing my masters degree in school psychology at the Albizu University. I'm a visionary of life and a dreamer. I love makeup and fashion. I also enjoy myself reading and writing about anything from articles to stories. I enjoy writing a broad spectrum of topics from fashion to psychology and don't just settle for one topic. I'm very talkative, I enjoy a great conversation of anything. Also I'm an artist I do the art of drag, which I take pleasure with. For me studying, written and dancing is my spectrum of art in which I deploy my talent and flow with nature. "I want to touch the sky while running on the ground"
Marcela Alvarez Alvarez is a 21-year-old psychology student at Albizu University located in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. She's the former Campus Correspondent and the founder of Her Campus Albizu. When she graduates, she plans to earn her doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Clinical Neuropsychology.  Marcela enjoys reading, listening to k-pop (korean pop music) and watching beauty videos on YouTube. One of her many goals is to start a lifestyle magazine focusing on beauty, fashion, and how it influences mental health.