The Lego Batman Movie, 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albizu chapter.

The Lego Batman Movie, 2017

Bruce Wayne must not only deal with the criminals of Gotham City, but also the responsibility of raising a boy he adopted. There are big changes brewing in Gotham City, and if he wants to save the city from The Joker’s hostile takeover, Batman may have to drop the lone vigilante thing, try to work with others and maybe, just maybe, learn to lighten up.

Let’s talk about, why is Lego Batman the best and funniest movie of 2017. There’s just something about Batman that gets audiences excited. The Lego Batman Movie is clever, creative, and funny, with nonstop action. There are tons of bad guys, battles, explosions, and weapons, all made of Legos (lots of things are put back together in a literal snap). Batman is forced to give himself a hard look over the course of the movie, eventually realizing that he can’t do everything by himself and that working with a team/having a family is more fun and fulfilling than going it alone (no matter how awesome your pecs are).  It’s a movie for kids and adults, you will love it and you’ll be laughing so hard.

The LEGO Batman Movie’s main strength is its frantic sense of humor. Every scene is studded with all types of gags from smart allusions to silly stuff. You never have to wait long for a decent laugh to come along. The movie mines its best comedic material from Batman’s relationships with other well-known DC characters. It has a lot of fun playing with the twisted inter-dependence of Batman and the Joker, articulated in the likes of The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight. Here it’s treated as if it was a dysfunctional hook-up, with the Joker heartbroken to discover Bats is ‘seeing’ other villains, and what they have isn’t special. Some of the funniest moments come from when the script taps into wider Batman mythology, and there’s similarly sharp and funny moments to enjoy with Robin, Superman, and the rest of the Justice League.

Director: Chris McKay.

The Cast and Voices:

Will Arnett – Batman / Bruce Wayne (voice)

Michael Cera – Robin / Dick Grayson (voice)

Rosario Dawson – Batgirl / Barbara Gordon (voice)

Ralph Fiennes – Alfred Pennyworth (voice)

Siri – Puter (voice)

Zach Galifianakis – Joker (voice)

Jenny Slate – Harley Quinn (voice)

Undergraduate Psychology Student in Carlos Albizu in San Juan Creative, Friendly, Reliable. Love to read, write, draw and paint. You can find her exploring, studying and eating in at Old San Juan or traveling around Puerto Rico. Her plans are to graduate from psychology and find a job.