Stages of Applying to Grad School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

It’s my senior year and I’ve been here and done this. I’ve been accepted to all of the schools I applied for and I’ve made my decision. 

Here are the stages or steps needed to apply for graduate school. 

May of Junior Year

Start researching schools and purchase GRE, MCAT or whatever study aids you need. 

June

Sign up for GRE classes and keep researching potential schools. 

July 

Narrow down the choices and request info for the schools. Ask professors, mentors and family members for suggestions. 

August 

Register for the GRE. Begin drafting personal statement(s).

September 

Finalize your list. Start asking for letters of recommendation. 

October

Send recommenders supplemental materials so they can write a solid letter. Gather all of the necessary documents for the schools. 

November

Have people look over your personal statements and start applying to the schools. 

December

Submit all applications and keep copies of records. Keep checking in on the recommenders. 

January 

Keep checking for emails from the schools. If they ask for an interview, reply right away with availability.

February and March

The acceptances start rolling in! Keep a look out. 

April 

Congratulations you’ve been accepted by now! Don’t forget to make your decision. 

May

Undergrad is over! Good luck in Grad School! 

Tabia is a senior at SUNY University at Albany. She is studying Journalism with a minor in History and Africana Studies. She would love a career in Journalism as an Arts and Entertainment Reporter. She wants to go to graduate school in her native New York City or Boston, Massachusetts. In her spare time she likes to dance, sing, watch new shows on Hulu and read Her Campus articles. She is currently the Podium Perspective Director and a Staff Writer for the Albany Student Press and a founding member of Kappa Alpha Pi. Go Danes!