She Believed She Could, So She Did

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

In the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia, the month of March is extra special.  March is women’s history month.  Internationally, March 8th is regarded as International Women’s Day.

It’s 2017, and we’ve come a long way in the past 100 years.  

100 years ago, among many things, women were not afforded the right to vote.  To many- all that we were good for was staying home, cooking, cleaning, taking care of the children, and oh, being the perfect wife to your husband.  

Women were discouraged from pursuing higher education in the early 1900s.  It was rare to see a female CEO, or boss, as one wouldn’t been able to reach the qualifications of one without the education.

The thought of a woman running for president was a joke.  If you told someone that idea 100 years ago, they would look at you like you were crazy.  This past election, the nation proved otherwise, with presidential runner-up Hillary Clinton winning the popular vote.  

Today, we are excelling and breaking barriers in all fields of work.  We will no longer be silenced and pushed to the side, or thought of as a lesser or incapable due to the inferiority of others.  

As women, there are so many obstacles in which we face, however these obstacles only make us stronger, and ever prepared to challenge, fix, and change the lives of others around us and the world.  

“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.” —Ayn Rand

So ladies, this month, and every month- I encourage, and challenge you to not let the glass ceiling theory get to you.  Being a woman is not a setback.

You are amazing.  You are powerful.  You are a leader.  Set goals, work towards achieving them, and the rest will all fall into place.  

There are many organizations on campus (*ahem, such as Her Campus,) dedicated to bettering and uplifting women.  Go out to their programs.  Join one.  Being apart of something bigger than yourself is so important.  Healthy relationships with other women are so important and special, especially in a world where society wants women to pit themselves against each other.  The only way we can get better, is if we are dedicated to bettering not only ourselves, but those around us too.  

There’s still so much work to be done, but we would be nowhere today without the women who paved the way for us.

Learn more about these women.  I challenge you all to take things further, and learn more about the successes and failures of those in your personal life, whether it be an aunt, a professor, or a colleague.  Study their craft.  Ask questions.  Support and lean on each other.  We’re women, and we’re all in this together.  

Former Best Lady Michelle Obama said it best, 

“There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” —Michelle Obama”

Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues