diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Healthy Skin Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

Did you know that November was healthy skin awareness month? Neither did I! The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) designated this honor in November to bring awareness on the importance of keeping skin healthy and protected. Here are some tips on how to keep your skin fresh and youthful.

1. Wear Sunscreen

Sunscreen dramatically decreases your risk of developing skin cancer. You should wear sunscreen daily, even when it is cloudy outside. Find lotions with SPF in it and incorporate them into your daily routine. Also keep a look out for foundations with SPF in them too. They may give your face a white ghostly appearance when using flash photography, but that is far less severe than skin cancer, so I think it is worth the risk of having ugly photos. Another good reason to wear sunscreen is the depletion of the ozone layer. The ozone helps shield the sun of UVB rays by absorbing them before they have come into contact with the ground. Since the ozone layer is depleting, you need the extra protection with sunscreen to avoid UVB rays.

2. Keep Skin Moisturized

Skin moisturizers can be found everywhere. It is especially important to keep your skin moisturized during the winter. The harsh winter months can leave your skin feeling very dry, cracked, and dull. Skin conditions like eczema can form too.Be careful when using lotions from big brands because they are often loaded with parabens and other harmful substances that strip your skin of its moisture. Olive oil and coconut oil are excellent alternatives to these and can be found in your local food isle.

3. Water is your best friend

Drinking eight glasses of water a day can help flush toxins right out of your system. Drinking inadequate amounts of water can promote toxin and waste build up thus trapping them under your skin and causing acne. Drinking water also has extra benefits such as promoting weight loss and keeping your body hydrated.

4. You are what you eat

Your diet may affect your weight, but it does not stop there. Your skin is made of protein so the more you eat the better (within reason). Avoid high-fat and high-carb diets as they can speed up the skin aging process. Eating omega 3s which can be found in seafood such as fish can also keep skin looking youthful. Do not forget to take your vitamins. Keep an eye out for vitamins that are especially marketed for your skin. You can usually find them advertised as hair, skin and nail vitamins. 

Now that you have some information on keeping your skin healthy you can start to develop a skin care regimen. Do not forget to check out www.add.org for additional information about your skin and how to take better care of it.