samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Making it Through Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

With midterm week rapidly approaching, the stress levels of UAlbany students are at a peaked level. In addition to midterms, the excitement of homecoming weekend can make it hard to focus.

With this in mind, finding ways to cope with the stress of this week can be a hard within itself. The preservation of mental health is also imperative with the skyrocketing anxiety rates in college students.  According to the center for collegiate mental health at Penn State University, anxiety and depression are now the most common mental health diagnoses in college students.

After taking all of this into consideration here are my 5 tips to assist in coping with the stress of midterms week:

1. Accept that whatever you’re feeling is valid.

One of the main concepts that aid to stress and anxiety is often feeling like your feelings are unreasonable or “its not that serious”. During midterm week especially, it is easy to feel like your exams aren’t as difficult as someone else, and with that, you should not be as overwhelmed.

It is okay to feel anxious. It is okay to be stressed and overwhelmed. Try your best not to shame yourself for your feelings that are in fact very real.

2. Plan your time.

Set deadlines for yourself to accomplish small goals that must be completed for the week.

Writing down important dates, times, and events can help you build a schedule around these things which will alleviate some of the stress of getting everything done in a short period of time. I know we all do it, but procrastination is not your friend.

3. Take a break.

While we all may feel that studying for hours on end is the only sure way to get an A on this up and coming midterm, there is a such thing as burning yourself out.

Too much studying can actually end up doing more harm than good in certain instances.Do not forget to but down the book for a moment, go for a walk, listen to some music, watch a cartoon.Find out what works for you!You most likely will feel less stressed, and ready to finish up your studying after participating in such exercises.

4. Office hours are your friend.

In college it can be easy to get lost among the 300+ student lecture classes and you can quickly feel far removed from your professors.

Do not forget that they are people too, and that it’s their job to help you. Office hours can provide you with the one on one explanation that you may need concerning a topic or example covered in class. Even if you cannot make the designated time provided on the syllabus, most professors will accommodate their students by providing appointment only hours. You would be surprised at how far less intimidating they are when you’re sitting with them face to face.

5. Talk to your friends.

Going away to college can be a very scary endeavor.

You are far away from your family and your friends from home and the unfamiliarity around you can easily become overwhelming in addition to pressure of midterms. More than likely, the friends that you have made in college are going through the same things, and they can relate to you on a deeper level! Try to form study group with your friends. Even if you all are not the same major, studying together has proven to increase productivity!

-Amoy Brown