nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

10 Quotes to Help You Deal with Grief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Albany chapter.

The hearts of many Americans mourn the death of 17 innocent people killed in a school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Broward County, Florida on Wednesday, February 14th, 2018.

It is important that we the living find ways to cope with the aftermath of this horrific situation in positive and effective ways that will not be detrimental to our mental health.

Here are 10 soothing quotes to put you at peace, if only for a moment.

“Everyone who lives long enough to love deeply will experience great losses. Don’t let fear of loss, or the losses themselves, take away your ability to enjoy the wonderful life that is yours.”  ― Barbara “Cutie” Cooper

“To ease a grieving heart is the world’s greatest pleasure, more so, when the heart is yours.”  ― Radhika Mundra

“If we can’t feel into the heart of grief, we can’t truly move on to experience hope and joy. We can’t be present to what is now, and what is next, because we are bound by the loss and sorrow that holds us to the past. Grief has to flow. It has to be carried, not just by you, but by the others with you, by your community, until it transforms to the next rightful calling of your heart to action.”  ― Sharon Weil

“We all must part sometime, be it in death or with time, but no matter what our time together continues as long as one or the other is alive to remember.”  ― E.Z. Michaels

“There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” — Washington Irving

“I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories.”

– Leo Buscaglia

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.”

– Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

“What is lovely never dies, but passes into another loveliness, star-dust or sea-foam, flower or winged air.”​

– Thomas Bailey Aldrich

You’ve got to trust yourself. Be gentle with yourself. And listen to yourself. You’re the only person who can get you through this now.”

– Tessa Shaffer

“When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways – either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength.”

– The Dalai Lama 

Hey girl, hey. Glad you stopped by my page today :) I am a student at the University at Albany majoring in English and a minor in Philosophy and Psychology. I know, its a lot.  I typically like to write about just about anything, and I'm really corny so feel free to make fun of all my cheeky commentary. Hope this is helpful to anyone who ever wants to just relax and learn something new. 
Chineze, is the former President of Her Campus Albany (2016-2018). Keep up with with her on Instagram: @browneyedblues, and subscribe to her YouTube channel! youtube.com/c?browneyedblues