This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Here are some simple ways to improve yours on a day to day basis.

7:00 a.m. Wake up and start right away with self-affirmations. Tell yourself things like…

• This is going to be a great day
  • I will be productive
  • Dang, who is that hottie in the mirror?!
  • Can’t wait for class
  • I am going to kill my test
  • I love myself and I love my life

Write encouraging affirmations on sticky notes and post them everywhere: on your bathroom mirror, covering the fridge, inside your planner, wherever you will read them consistently. The more you repeat positive phrases to yourself, the more they will come true. Research show that telling yourself, “I feel confident,” will automatically increase your self-confidence.  

8:00 a.m. Time to meditate all your worries away. Meditation can seem intimidating, but it really isn’t as hard as it seems. Simply taking a break to focus on breathing is a beneficial form of introspection. Here are some guided meditations that can help get you started…

• Popular apps: Head Space, Calm, Centered
  • Guided Meditation with Kereiki on Youtube

Just give it a try and I am sure you will feel ready for the day.

9:00 a.m. Workout time… Yes, we all dread it, but we all feel oh-so-good afterwards! The key is to sweat and get your muscles tired. This will feed you endorphins and get your brain juices flowing. Exercise has endless advantages, but here are a few.

• Gives you endorphins
  • Increases focus
  • Surges your energy
  • Takes away stress
  • Makes you feel more confident about your body and even yourself

Once you get into a routine of sweating every day, it will be as easy as brushing your teeth. (If you really don’t feel up to a workout one day, try just stretching for a few minutes. This will get your body warmed up and blood flowing.)

12:00 p.m. Take a phone break

3:00 p.m. Phone break #2

5:00 p.m. Put the phone down.

Taking a break from electronics has many advantages, such as…

• Better focus
  • More engaged with communication partner
  • Rest your brain from constant stimulus of phone screen

Make this a routine to tuck that phone away for at least ten minutes.

10:00 p.m. Write down what you are thankful for before you go to bed. This is a great way to wrap up the day. It also trains your brain to think positively, reflecting on the roses of your day, instead of the thorns. It could be as simple as I’m grateful for…

• Being able to attend school
  • Having a bed to sleep in
  • Being alive
  • Having a winning football team (roll tide!!)

If this schedule doesn’t work for you, here are the five key mental health strategies to intertwine into your day. You’ll start feeling less stressed each day you practice.

1. Self-affirmations always!!

2. Meditation

3. Turn off your phone for a given period of time

4. Workout…or even stretch

5. Write down what you are thankful for each night

Hey guys! My name is Kourtney Jakubowski and I am a sophomore at University of Alabama, I feel so lucky! I came from beautiful San Diego where I learned to keep active and always seek new adventures. College is scary, so I hope to make that transition a little easier! Roll tide
Alabama Contributor