This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

I remember when I was little, hearing about family friends who changed their major three or four times, spending five+ years in undergrad. People complained they’d never graduate, and I honestly felt bad they still had to be in school. Little did I know, they stayed in school on purpose. If college was free, I’d stay forever; that’s how much I love it. But why, you may ask??

There is an in between responsibility. I don’t have to be a complete adult yet with a real job, but I can pay my rent and drive myself wherever I want. If something goes wrong, the only person who suffers is me. One day, I’ll have a family and a husband relying on me. I can wait for that.

Also, learning is fun. There have been countless times I’ve sat in lecture bored out of my mind, but there are times I couldn’t stop saying, “Wow this is so interesting!” Then there is the adrenaline of staying up all night for a test and then getting my grade back. It’s a constant competition with myself; there is a constant test of how hard I am willing to work.

It is so easy to meet new people and be part of a community. If you like the outdoors, there’s a club for that. If you like tennis, there’s a team for that. If you like politics, there’s a job for that. There are millions of ways to get involved and be a part of the University. I am surrounded by people my age 24/7(I literally never see kids or old people), making it easy to meet others with similar interests. Everyone shares the commonality of the University of Alabama, and all the traditions that go along with that. The love we share for our school is an instant glue for the student body, an instant connection. Even more, I have found my lifetime friends and that tops it all. 

Last but not least, college is fun. I’m not sure if you’ve heard, but college students love to have a good time. I like to call Tuscaloosa an “adult playground” where there is always something going on. Sitting alone in your room on a Friday night is a rare occurrence at the University of Alabama. I’ve never had this much fun in my life, and I’m freaking out that it’s almost over.

My experience at the University of Alabama is one I will hold dear to my heart until the day I die. It’s almost halfway over and I don’t know how to handle it. Maybe I’ll change my major and start all over? Or “accidentally” take the wrong classes? Guess we’ll have to find out, but for now I’ll just pretend “the best four years of my life” never have to end.

Hey guys! My name is Kourtney Jakubowski and I am a sophomore at University of Alabama, I feel so lucky! I came from beautiful San Diego where I learned to keep active and always seek new adventures. College is scary, so I hope to make that transition a little easier! Roll tide
Alabama Contributor