TV Show Review: The Crown on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Netflix has done it again with their latest series, The Crown. This drama follows Queen Elizabeth ll’s reign throughout her political rivalries and personal life. Claire Foy portrays young Queen Elizabeth at the beginning of her reign.The show picks up as Princess Elizabeth is preparing to marry her husband Phillip, who is played by Matt Smith.The show takes a dramatic look into the pair’s marriage. and Elizabeth and Phillip are united as one in marriage, but she is his queen before being his wife. Phillip openly struggles with this on the show. Foy gives a phenomenal performance in her role as Queen Elizabeth. Foy did a wonderful job showing Elizabeth’s struggle and did her queen justice. The Crown shows it’s audience Elizabeth’s true struggle between her heart and the crown. Elizabeth must always decide if she must do what is right for herself or what is right for the good of the country. This decision comes between her and Prince Phillip many a time throughout the show. Matt Smith is nothing short of excellent in his portrayal of Prince Phillip. Smith is known for his role as the 11th Doctor on BBC’s hit show Doctor Who. Smith’s part in The Crown further proves what an amazing actor he is. Even in such a serious role, Smith’s comedic timing is impeccable. John Lithgow takes the screen in a on point portrayal of the one and only Winston Churchill. Lithgow portrayal of the great Winston Churchill was completely on point. Vanessa Kirby plays the lovely and quite unpredictable Princess Margret. 

The Crown’s star studded cast is just one of the many aspects that make it a hit show.The Crown is a dramatized take on Queen Elizabeth’s personal life. As they tell her story, Netflix has shows nothing but respect towards her majesty the Queen. The show portrays Elizabeth as a strong woman who wants nothing more than to be a good queen to her country and a good wife to her husband. 

The Crown touches over the highs and lows throughout the beginning years of Elizabeth’s reign as queen. From Margret’s affair with Peter Townsend to Elizabeth’s own suspect marital troubles with Phillip. 

Netflix out did themselves with this show. The sets and effects are magnificent. It is almost like they hopped in Matt Smith’s old Tardis and actually filmed in Buckingham Palace. The costumes are excellent replicas and are exquisite. It is very obvious that a lot of thought and detail went into every aspect of making this show. 

Netflix has a six season plan for the show, covering a decade or so of Queen Elizabeth’s reign.

Hi! I'm Katie Goodwin! I'm a senior at UA and I am majoring in journalism with a minor in creative writing. I'm from Hoover, AL but one day I hope to live in London, England. When I am not writing, I love to read, watch Netflix, travel, and go to One Direction concerts.
Alabama Contributor