Tatiana Sousa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Tatiana Agostinho Sousa

Hometown: Sleepy Hollow, NY

Major: History with a Double Minor in Theater and Latino, Caribbean, and Latin American Studies.

Relationship status: Single

Favorite movie: The Holiday

Favorite place to study on campus: “The Starbucks on Bryant or the bottom floor of Gorgas.”

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: “Cookout, Newks, or Waffle House.”

What clubs are you involved in? “Alpha Psi Omega, the National Theater Honors Society, Crimson Kindness, Spectrum, UADM, and The UA Hispanic and Latino Association.”

What is your favorite part about your major? “I love learning about history because I feel like it gives me a better understanding about what is happening in the world today. Once you know the past and causes of certain events it’s easier to comprehend what’s happening in today’s news around the world. I appreciate the perspective it gives me on the world.”

What do you love most about being in APO?  “I have stepped out of my comfort zone so much thanks to APO. Being around mostly actors and creative, outgoing people you start to want to be more outgoing and creative.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “History of Brazil! I’m Brazilian and I thought I knew all I needed to about my culture and where my family is from, but I was wrong. I’ve learned so much about where my family is from and I feel a lot closer to my culture than I ever had before. Dr. Cribeli, who teaches the course, is an amazing Professor and definitely has a gift for teaching. I loved every second I was in the class and wish I could take it every semester.”

Who is your celebrity crush? “Joe Jonas has been my husband since I was 7 but more recently my celebrity crush is Sebastian Stan.”

What is the best concert you have ever gone to? “Bad Suns! For my 18th birthday my best friend Erin got us tickets to see them in concert! The two opening acts were amazing and we got all the way to the front and it was MAGICAL! I love every song they have and knew all the words. The venue was small, so it was a really nice environment to be in! Whenever I listen to their music I remember the concert and any bad mood I was in disappears.” 

Describe yourself in three words. Loyal, Introverted, and Honest.

What do you like to do in your free time? “I love learning about physics! I’m not very good at math so there’s really no hope in me ever pursuing a career in Science or Math so I take it upon myself to learn as much as I can when I’m not involved in projects that have to do with History or Theater. I love watching Cosmos on Netflix and definitely recommend it to someone who likes learning about physics and space.”

What do you think is your best quality? “I’m honest with people but I’m not rude either. I don’t like being misunderstood or taken advantage of, so if there’s ever any confusion or discrepancies in social or work situations I’m always honest with people. If I ever feel uncomfortable or aggravated in a situation I try to find the best way to get what I’m feeling across to the other person or people but I’m very aware of how I speak and present myself so I don’t offend anyone.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “My Dad always tells me to not worry about something I can’t control. As simple as that is, it helps to always remind myself of that and only stress about what’s really important and that I can change or influence.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “In graduate school pursuing my masters in History or Latin American studies and living in an apartment in a more urban city and supporting myself.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.