Studying Abroad: Enrichment Beyond the Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Before I even came to college, I knew that I wanted to study abroad. My family has always loved to travel, and I love immersing myself in the culture of whatever place we visit. Throughour first semester I researched programs, and this summer I participated in UA in France as our group studied in Tours for a month. I had been to France multiple times before, and had even taken languaged classes there in previous summers. Each of my experiences in the country were unique and enriching in their own way, and this time was no exception. 

Studying abroad gives opportunities for students to learn beyond the classroom. The academic aspect is an important part of the experience, and the teachers and materials provided me with a great environment to improve my language skills. Every week the institute organized excursions across the region to sites with historical significance, which ameliorated my understanding of the language through a better grasp of its cultural context. Living with a native French speaker allowed me to practice communication and gave me the opportunity to develop a relationship with my host mom, which helped me feel more at home. Friendships that I formed with other students at the institute and the other students in the UA group are some of the most valuable souvenirs that I brought home with me. Being abroad taught me about independence in different ways than living on my own on campus did. Being in Tours this summer with our group is a time in my life I will not soon forget.

I think everyone who has the opportunity to study abroad should definitely take it. Stop by the next Study Abroad Fair or go to the Education Abroad Office in BB Comer and set up an appointment with an advisor. There are programs all around the world for a myriad of interests. You never know where you will end up and how it will impact your life for the better.

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.
Alabama Contributor