This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Before college, I did not understand the meaning of sisterhood or Greek life for that matter. I did not realize the impact it could have on someone’s life, the opportunities it would bring, or just how awesome it is. Joining a sorority essentially changed my life. At the beginning of college, I had a tough time making new friends. Though I went to an in-state school, none of my high school friends or classmates came to UA. I would see a few familiar faces from summer programs but that was about it.  After joining my sorority, I gradually got closer to some amazing and intelligent women whom eventually became some of my bestest friends today. These are the ladies I want at my wedding in the future, the ladies I come to when I need to cry or vent because college is just that hard, and the ladies that are there for me through and through.

Through them, I feel I have become a better woman. I am much more confident. I have continously learned about leadership as well as receiving opportunites to fulfill those roles. I also have pride. I love talking about my sisterhood, my sisters, and what we’re about. As I am going into my junior year, I just can not imagine not having sisterhood in my life. I’ll be living with two of my sisters and best friends this school year and I couldn’t be more excited about it. I will forever be grateful for this change in my life.

For anyone currently going through recruitment now or prepping for later ones, I wish you the best of luck and also a congratulations on taking a step on possibly one of the greatest decisons of your college career. Look past the stereotypes, negative reviews, and conduct your own research. Because at the end of the day, it’s about what is best for YOU.

Image #2 credit: Melody Schmidt, @wonderstruck_dreams on Instagram.

For more information on Greek Life at UA, please visit www.ofsl.sa.ua.edu.

Alisha is a senior at The University of Alabama majoring in Communicative Disorders and minoring in Psychology. She is the current Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Alabama. Alisha loves binge watching TV shows on Netflix, baking, writing, watching/raving about Alabama Football, and spending time with her sorority sisters. She hopes to make a difference in the world or at least in many people's lives as a hopeful Speech-Language Pathologist. Follow Alisha on Twitter (@missalisha14) and Instagram (alishaa_j). Roll Tide!