Scream Worthy Schedules: How to Handle a Difficult Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Fall has returned and so has the beginning of a new school year. Everyone has been fighting the long lines at bookstore to purchase textbook, highlighting exam dates in syllabi, and gearing up for the first football game of the season. Welcome to the best four years of your life. And the most stressful. Classes can be difficult, even for returning students who have learned that “less is more” really is applicable to creating the perfect balance between extracurricular activities and class loads. Whether you’re a freshman or a senior, there are tricks and tips that can help you manage a difficult semester.

Tip #1: Stay Ahead. While the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare might apply to other aspects of your life, it does not apply to college. The slowest to study and complete their work will not win the race. You do not want to fall behind in any of your classes. Most professors will suggest reading ahead in textbooks or class material. This alone can make or break your grade. Stay on top of homework assignments, reading, and studying as much as possible. You’ll thank yourself later when you aren’t struggling to understand the material.

Tip #2: Break the Plate. The University of Alabama offers a great tool on The Source’s website (thesource.ua.edu) that can help students determine how much they are involved on campus. Don’t be afraid to give up an extracurricular activity or to drop a class early on if you know that you won’t be able to handle it. It’s better to have a great GPA and be involved in one or two campus activities than to fall behind in your classes and to feel overwhelmed!

Tip #3: Make Time for Yourself. Sometimes you need to take a step back and focus on what’s most important: your mental health! If you find that anxiety related to school has consumed your life, try talking to friends or picking up a relaxing activity. Most schools, including the University of Alabama, have great services and counselors that can assist students who face anxiety and depression. Don’t be afraid to take advantage of these wonderful amenities while you’re a student.

Tip #4: Get Organized. If you were to open your backpack right now, would you find organized folders or crumbled balls of paper taking up space? If you agreed to the latter part of the question, you might need to get organized. Organization is the key to success. Purchase a planner or a notebook to keep track of any assignments or tests. Be sure to write down any important dates. Keep all notebooks and folders organized and papers neat. The easier it is for you to find what you’re looking for, the less stressed out you will be!

While college can be stressful, it’s also enjoyable. With these tips, you can take on the semester and have the time of your life. Remember to stay positive and make the most of out of every situation. This semester could just be the best one yet!

Alabama Contributor
Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.