Room Redo: Turning Your Room From Drab to Fab

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Whether you’re wanting to add a fresh spring look to your dorm room or you’re already planning out your new apartment space for fall, many collegiettes are looking to get the most bang for their buck—all without sacrificing style. For those hoping to spice up their interiors quickly and on a budget, here are five great ways to turn drab to fab!

Accent pillows and a throw

Beds typically are the largest piece of furniture piece in the room, and they often become the unintentional focal point. Accent pillows and a new throw blanket are a quick and inexpensive way to spruce up your linens. Whether it’s a trendy chevron stripe or seasonal spring pastels, these accessories offer both design and functionality.

[ pagebreak ]

Homemade art

Now might be the time to find your inner craftiness or reevaluate all those DIY pins on your Pinterest boards. Professional wall art often comes with a high price tag, but collegiettes can make pieces that are just as interesting and professional looking themselves. All you need is a blank canvas from an arts and crafts store, some acrylic paint, brushes and inspiration. But don’t fret! If there isn’t a crafty bone in your body, a simple framed poster will do the job at a low cost.

[ pagebreak ]

Small area rug

Your feet will always appreciate cozy rug to walk on in the mornings or before bed. Just like the pillows and throw, floor rugs offer a quick revamp to any space and are offered in a variety of fun and festive patterns to suit any collegiette’s taste.

[ pagebreak ]

Organization boxes

If you’re looking for a stylish way to store clutter, craft stores offer great options, like colorful storage bins and storage cubes. If you want something more unique and personal, many stores sell vintage inspired hatboxes that are perfect for displaying or stowing away in a closet. Another more cost effective option is collaging old shoe boxes with magazine cut outs and sealing them with Mod Podge so they can take the wear and tear.

[ pagebreak ]

Repurposed lamps

Every room needs some cozy lighting to counteract the harsh fluorescents typically used in college residents. While buying new lamps can get expensive, a quick redo of a lampshade is a cost effective way to create a new look. Shades can be purchased in a variety of sizes, colors and textures at many stores and if you want a little more to do, you can pull out your hot glue gun and add some fringe on the edges. If you’re feeling extra crafty, you may even want to recover the shade or paint the lamp’s base. Check out DIY guides on Pinterest for the best ways how!

Hopefully these tips and tricks will cheer up your dorm or apartment, just in time for spring!

Photo Credits:

Pinterest

Refinery29

Alabama Contributor