Morgan Purvis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Morgan Purvis

Hometown: Troy, Michigan

Major: Finance & Actuarial Science

Book: Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruis Zafon

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Another Broken Egg

What has your experience been as an out of state student? “Being an out-of-state student at Bama has been such an eye-opening experience. Coming to Alabama, I expected to make friends from all over and I expected to learn a lot. What I did not expect is how much my perspective on the world has changed. Before I came to college, all I knew about life is what I learned in suburban Metro-Detroit. Being immersed in a community full of people from all over the country and the world has allowed me to have a much more global perspective on things and I am really thankful for that experience.”

What clubs are you involved in? “I am a Culverhouse Ambassador which I love as well as a member of the Business Honors Program, an Honors Year One mentor, and a brother of Alpha Kappa Psi (a professional business fraternity).”

What’s the best part about being a Culverhouse Ambassador? “The best part of being a Culverhouse Ambassador is the feeling I get knowing that I am doing my part to give back to my college and university. By working to provide all visitors to the Culverhouse College of Commerce with the best experience possible, I am working to bring the most qualified students to the school as well as ensuring that our donors and corporate connections are well taken care of.”

What is the cutest thing your boyfriend has ever done for you? “I was at home in Michigan and he lives in St. Louis and it was my birthday and he knew that I was alone and bored so he had a pizza delivered to my house and it was just nice knowing that he was thinking of me even though he couldn’t be there in real life.”

Who is your celebrity crush? Kit Harrington (aka Jon Snow)

Describe your dream date. “I love going to concerts so my dream date would probably be at a George Strait concert and then Johnny Cash and Taylor Swift come out on stage (a girl can dream right??). Then we get Slurpees from 7/11 and watch Greys Anatomy.”

What do you like to do in your free time? “I love to play tennis! I also read a lot and I spend a lot of time swimming and relaxing at the pool. I also really like walking around on the quad and petting all the dogs.”

Best quality: I think my best quality is the ability to adapt to a lot of different situations. It keeps me pretty low-stress even when my schedule is totally full. I think it also keeps me really open-minded which I think is one of the most important things to be.

What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten? “If you want crappy things to stop happening to you, then stop accepting crap and demand something more.” –Christina Yang

Where do you see yourself in five years? “I see myself embarking on a career that is intellectually stimulating and keeps my mind working. I also want to try living in some cities that I’ve never lived in before so I see myself moving around. I’ll definitely be playing a lot of tennis, too.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.