Marine Science Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name of organization: Marine Science Club

Organization type: Academic/Outreach Student Organization

What is the objective of your organization?:  The Marine Science Club is an organization devoted to bringing students who are passionate about marine science, research and conservation together. Through faculty, trips and community service, we keep our friends close and our anemones closer!

What events do you plan to hold this semester/what is your next event?: We are currently working on a plastic pollution awareness project this semester.  We are using plastic bottle caps to create murals of marine life disproportionately affected by plastic pollution in the world’s oceans. Once we finish our murals, they will be on display (hopefully on campus) for students and the public to learn about this important issue.

How can others get involved in your organization? This semester, we meet every Tuesday night from 6:00- 7:30 to work on the plastic pollution murals. We will be at Get On Board Day next fall as well. Students do not have to be marine science majors to join; a love of the ocean and marine animals is all that’s required!

What is your favorite part about your organization?

“There are so few marine science majors on campus at UA, so being a part of the Marine Science Club has allowed me the opportunity to meet other students with similar interests and has helped me make new friends and connections I wouldn’t have made otherwise. I have also learned so much more about my future career and have had the chance to get younger kids (and the public) interested in the field.” ~Nicole McKim, vice president, junior 

For more information, please contact: marine.bama@gmail.com

Social media handles: Facebook: Marine Science Club Bama or @mscbama

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.