This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Katherine Read

Hometown: Snellville, Georgia

Major: Telecommunication and Film

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Rama Jama’s

What do you love about Alabama? One of the many things I love is that there is always something going on, so no matter what your interests are you can always find something to do.

What do you like to do in your free time? I love spending time with my friends and painting. And baking, I make some mean strawberry brownies.

What’s your favorite study spot? First floor couches at Gorgas, I like to be comfy when I study.

Describe your dream date. “I would love to go on a picnic, and then stargaze. I may be a little cliché but it sounds adorable!”

Who is your celebrity crush? Dave Franco!

What do you look for in a guy? I like funny guys because I love to laugh, but he also needs to be sweet.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten? Don’t buy groceries while hungry. It always gets me.

What do you wish you had known about college? No one knows what they’re doing. I thought that I was the only one who didn’t have their future planned out and stressed a lot over that, until I realized that we’re all just trying to figure it out.

Any advice to incoming freshmen? Find something you love. Whether it’s a club or something else, having something that you love doing will introduce you to great new people and you’ll have fun and enjoy yourself. 

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.
Alabama Contributor