Joanna Urli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Joanna Urli

Hometown: Massapequa, NY

Major: Biology

Relationship status: Single

Favorite movie: Inside Llewyn Davis Favorite place to study on campus: First floor of Gorgas Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Glory Bound

What clubs are you involved in? “I’m very involved with AIChE, HOSA, and URGE UA. I also hold officer positions in all of these organizations.”

What is your favorite part about your major? “Being able to learn about genetics and how it impacts individuals in their daily lives.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “Biology of Cancer with Dr. Ramonell. She is also my advisor for my major, so having her as a professor was amazing.”

What is the best part about being in Theta Tau? “Being able to have brothers all across the country, and to have all of my best friends in one place.”

What is the best part about being involved with URGE? “Being an advocate on campus for different issues that create inequity. As well as fighting for reproductive rights that affect people everywhere including myself.”

Who is your celebrity crush? Emma Watson

Describe yourself in three words. Passionate, Loving, Perseverant

What do you like to do in your free time? “I love to read and listen to music. I also really enjoy cooking.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “Let go what you can’t control, and do well at what you can.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “I see myself being a practicing genetic counselor in the northeast, and hopefully, I’ll have a dog as well.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.