Inspired by HBO

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

When I was a freshman, I was thrilled to have HBO GO for free through our school. I had grown up watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and Sex and the City with my mom. Our family traveled abroad quite often, and I was happy to always count on HBO to give me a taste of home no matter where I was in the world. Once I got to college, HBO GO helped the service take on a whole new meaning for me.

I had heard about Band of Brothers and The Pacific before. When they came out, we discussed them in my history classes, though I knew I could not watch them at the time and I did not have the ability to prerecord them. With my newfound HBO GO subscription, I decided to watch them finally, and they honestly changed my life. Though I am usually not one who enjoys action movies or war documentaries, something about these shows was different.

From the first episode of each I was enthralled by the characters and their backstories, since each one was based on a real person. The shows gave me a new perspective on the wars I had learned so much about in school through books and brought them to life in a way I had never experienced before. Though I have never been in combat, I found themes in the shows and aspects of the characters’ personalities and viewpoints that I identified with, and these themes and aspects led me to self-reflection most of the time.

I recommend that every UA student take advantage of their HBO GO subscription while they have it. Even if they do not connect with Band of Brothers and The Pacific, there are loads of movies and series that you can watch and find things you love and identify with. From Veep to True Detective, HBO GO has dramas and comedies that will entertain as well as educate, which are both valuable no matter your taste or background.

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.