How to Nap Like a Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Have you ever pulled an all-nighter to get a paper done and those three cups of coffee aren’t quite cutting it in the morning? Then you, my friend, are in need of a nap. The National Sleep Foundation notes that there are plenty of benefits to napping, including restored alertness, enhanced performance and reduced mistakes. But be warned, there is actually a right and wrong way to nap. If you follow these steps you’ll be napping like a pro in no time.

1.) Make your naps between 20-30 minutes

The experts out there, including Mayo Clinic, say that the sweet spot for napping is anywhere from 20-30 minutes. This is because you get enough rest to be effective without entering a REM cycle as most naps over an hour do.

2.) Don’t nap past 4 p.m.

If you nap closer to the evening, it will affect your nighttime sleep – and we don’t want you missing out on important beauty sleep!

3.) Plan your naps

Planning your naps can help you have a silver-lining to look forward to while you’re studying, in class or busy with something else. Knowing one is on the horizon will ensure you don’t feel totally out of it as you go about your day.

4.) Set multiple alarms and tell your friends you’re napping

There’s nothing worse than taking a 20-minute snooze between classes only to have it turn into an hour and 20-minute snooze. Be smart and set multiple alarms to make sure you get up in time for your next activity of the day. Tell your friends so they can make sure you didn’t accidentally sleep through those alarms.

5.) Don’t get to work right after a nap

The longer nap you take, the longer it will take to get rid of that post-nap grogginess. Allow yourself a little bit of time to wake your brain up – especially if you have a test or practice!

6.) Don’t confuse napping with sleeping

Although naps are great tools to help you get some effective rest, don’t rely on them completely to substitute for your normal sleep routine. The National Sleep Foundation recommends 7-9 hours of sleep for young adults ages 18-24. Make sure you’re catching those Z’s!

Napping is more effective than coffee, especially if you nap right. Consider these tips next time you take that mid-afternoon snooze!

Bryana is a senior at The University of Alabama double-majoring in public relations and communication studies from Boston, Mass. She loves photography, finding new songs to jam out to and creating Snapchat geofilters for fun. When Bryana isn't avidly color-coding her planner, you can either find her raving over her most recent abroad experience in London or out on the band field marching with the Million Dollar Band. Follow Bryana on Twitter and Instagram @bryanak13.
Alabama Contributor