Gene Fulmer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Gene Fulmer

Hometown: Fayette, AL

Major: Marketing, minoring in Public Relations

Relationship status: Single

Favorite TV show: Parks and Recreation Favorite place to study on campus: “3rd floor of Manly hall overlooking the Woods quad. (The one with all of the cool sculptures). It’s a good view plus a change of pace from the grind at the libraries.” Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: “D’Palmas. Italian food in general is something I’m always in the mood for.”

What clubs are you involved in? “SGA, Housing and Residential Communities, AKPsi, Calvary Baptist, American Marketing Association, Al’s Pal’s (previously but I miss it), and Golden Key Honor Society.”

What is your favorite part about being involved in SGA? “Helping people. It gives me a platform to make people feel heard and show that their opinions are valued. My favorite way to do this is going out and meeting students (face-two-face) through Say Hey and raising awareness about real issues on campus.”

What’s the best part about being an RA? “Seeing freshmen on my hall have that initial moment where they finally recognize UA as home. Whether that be meeting a best friend in a neighbor or an incredible club, it’s definitely my favorite part.”

What’s the coolest experience you’ve had at UA so far? “Wow, so many. I guess the overarching one would be meeting people from so many different parts of the country, world. Hearing all of these perspectives and experiences has really shown me how much is out there. And how excited I am for it.”

Who is your celebrity crush? Carrie Underwood

Describe your dream date. “Dinner with great conversation, then a moonlit walk close to water ending with a goodnight kiss! On another note, I think skydiving would be an incredible fun date.”

Describe yourself in three words. Passionate, friendly, happy

What do you think is your best quality? “Making sure people are valued. It can be a simple smile or hello, but that’s something I always try to do.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “Keep God first and everything else will fall in to line.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.