Five UA Classes That Will Change Your Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

While we all wish for the best, college classes can be a total hit or miss experience. We’ve all taken some doozies, but hopefully I speak for us all when I say we’ve also taken some great ones. Great classes are like a breath of fresh air in your schedule. They’re those classes you look forward to going to every week. They have the ability to enlighten without being disheartening. They encourage you to want to learn more. It’s a revolutionary concept, right?

With a campus as large as UA, it can be tricky to sort out the duds from the dazzling so I’ve enlisted the help of a few Alabama collegiettes to put together an all-star list of classes in a variety of departments.

1. PSC 205: Political Theory taught by Dr. Utz McKnight. This class comes recommended by Sheldon Martin, a junior majoring in public relations

“I love this class because it wasn’t a traditional class atmosphere. It was a hybrid class and Dr. McKnight was so involved in the class discussions that it made going to class exciting,” Martin says.

1. MKT 337 Personal Selling also comes recommended by Martin. This class is taught by Joe Calamusa.

“I’m currently in this class and it’s my favorite that I’ve ever taken. What he teaches us is so hands-on and used in real life settings. He’s one of the most energetic teachers I’ve ever had,” Martin says.

1. COM 101 Introduction to Communications taught by Angela Billings. Cynthia Simpson, a senior majoring in music performance gave this class a glowing recommendation.

“This was one of the best classes I’ve ever taken because it taught me how to interact with people effectively. The course provided me with specific strategies for communicating in difficult situations, and it has been incredibly valuable information that I’ve applied to both my personal and professional experiences,” Simpson says.

1. UH 333 Every Move Counts Chess ED Project this Honors class comes recommended by sophomore accounting student, Tory Purvis.

“It [UH 333] is a service learning class. Twice a week you go to the local schools in town and teach chess. For some of these kids it’s one of the few times they hear they’re doing something great. Also, if you do truly enjoy giving back, you can be a lead volunteer and come back to the class, still with credit, and help teach the new college students how to teach the children. When I say children, it is anywhere from second graders to high schoolers,” Purvis said. 

1. EN 333 Shakespeare this class is courtesy of my own personal recommendation but if you’re a Shakespeare fan in any way, shape or form, this class is for you! Most of the class is made up of English majors, but don’t let that dissuade you if you’re interested in the famous tragedies, comedies and history plays of William Shakespeare. This semester we have dug deep and I find myself noticing references to Shakespeare all over the place now.
Hi there, I'm Lauren. I write & I sing opera, musical theatre & country music - just not at the same time. I live my life in pink, navy and copious amounts of glitter. Roll tide!
Alabama Contributor