Emily Huynh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Emily Huynh

Hometown: Nashville, TN

Major: Computer Science with minors in Math and Advertising on the STEM Path to the MBA

Relationship status: Single

Favorite band: Jukebox the Ghost

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Ruan Thai

What clubs are you involved in? Crimson Kindness, Alpha Kappa Psi, Association for Computing Machinery

What is your favorite part about your major? “The camaraderie, for sure. We spend a LOT of time together. We’re basically like one big family.”

What advice do you have for other girls who want to pursue computer science? “Go for it, there’s nothing holding you back! Don’t be misinformed by stereotypes, and definitely look into attending the Grace Hopper Conference – it’s the biggest conference for women in computing.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “Honors Book Arts – it’s great if you’re a creative person, but it is a time commitment. There are a lot of really cool projects, and it’s different from anything I’ve ever taken before.”

What is the best part about being in AKPsi? “I love seeing the pledgeship process from start to finish. It’s crazy to see how much people can grow in 8 weeks. Also, my littles, because they’re great.”

What is the most rewarding part about being in Crimson Kindness? “Making people smile, because at the end of the day, that’s what we’re here to do. Even if it’s just one person, it’s amazing to see how we can impact people on campus.”

Who is your celebrity crush? Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Describe your dream date. “A nice dinner and then a concert for a band that we both love.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “Whenever I used to say I couldn’t do something, a friend of mine would always say, ‘Not with that kind of attitude!’ and it’s stuck ever since.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “Hopefully, I’ll be working for a big tech company in ATX, NYC, or Silicon Valley!”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.