Delphanie Wu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Delphanie Wu

Hometown: Saline, Michigan (Go Blue!)

Major: Communicative Disorders

Relationship status: In a relationship

Favorite band:  All Sons and Daughters Favorite place to study on campus: “The 2nd floor of McLure, or North Lawn- a new building means a pretty fun assortment of chairs and study spaces!” Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Southern Ale House

What clubs are you involved in? “I’m involved with DEAF Hands Speak, the Asian American Student Association, PSALMS, the Association of Residential Communities, Calvary Baptist Church, and SGA”

What is your favorite part about your major? “Most people don’t know what it is, so I actually really enjoy that it becomes a talking point to educate anybody about my field of speech, language, and hearing sciences.”

What is your favorite part about being an RA? “I love being able to meet people where they are to help them out. Some residents really want to be friends with their RA, some just need you to give them their keys in the fall and then check them out in the spring, and most are somewhere in between. I am so happy to fill any of those roles for residents, and it’s great to learn to assume a variety of roles when serving people.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “Introduction to American Sign Language in the Honors College: that class is my baby because I worked really hard to start it, and it was a blast every class.”

Who is your celebrity crush? “So many good choices. I would have to choose Andrew Garfield, Nathan Adrian, and Gene Kelly as my trifecta.”

Describe yourself in three words. Extroverted, caring, ambitious

What do you think is your best quality? “How much I care about and want to invest in people and things I’m passionate about.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “‘Your salvation will not reflect your works but your works should reflect your salvation.’ This has been a fantastic reminder to me that as a Christian, there is no sort of good deeds or charitable activities that can buy my way into heaven. However, how I live my life and all that I do should reflect that I have been given the free gift from God of eternal life.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “Hopefully I will have earned my doctorate in audiology and be working with children who are deaf/Deaf or have hearing loss!”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.