CURE Bama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name of organization: CURE Bama

Organization type: Non-profit medical awareness and fundraising organization

What is the objective of your organization? Our mission statement is to ‘heal the sick and proclaim the kingdom of God.’ Our goal as a campus organization is to help the CUREkids being treated in our hospitals by raising funds for their surgery and raising awareness by making sure as many people as possible know about them and our organization.

What events do you plan to hold this year and what is your next event? We hold a Spring Swing and Fall Flannel each year along with several other smaller fundraisers. We are also having our first casual worship night. Tickets for the Fall Flannel are 1 for $7 or 2 for $10. All of the proceeds go directly toward funding surgeries for CUREkids in the Uganda hospital we are paired with.

• November 10th- Last general meeting of the semester and casual worship night to follow
  • November 11th- Volunteering at the Temporary Emergency Services from 2:30-4:30 pm
  • November 17th- Fall Flannel in the Ferg plaza from 8-10 pm

How can others get involved in your organization? You can get involved by simply coming to a meeting or fundraiser. You can make CURE as casual or time consuming as you’d like, and CURE would love whatever level of commitment you could give.

What is your favorite part about your organization? “My favorite part about CURE is finding joy in the fact that apart from all our fun events and goofy fundraisers, we are helping change the lives of desperate children and families in need of physical healing and spiritual salvation. We may never meet those we help in our lifetime, but they will live a lifetime full of joy and love because of what we do.” -Jack Christenbury

For more information, please contact: curebamaawareness@gmail.com

Social media handles: curebama.weebly.com Facebook: CURE International at Bama Instagram: @CURE_Bama Twitter: @CUREbama

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.