Cokie Thompson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Cokie Thompson

Hometown: Memphis, Tennessee

Major: Journalism

Favorite book: Yes, Please by Amy Poehler

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Taco Mama and Steel City Pops

How has your experience been as an out-of-state student? “I’ve loved every minute of being at Alabama. I have family close by, and Memphis isn’t too far away, so I haven’t felt much culture shock. I think the influx of out of state students has been great for the university. We have perspectives from all across the country (and the world) with a stake in what happens at this university now and where it goes in the future.”

What is the most rewarding part about being President of PWCB? “I love knowing that I’m laying a path for students who come after me. Getting PWCB off the ground hasn’t been easy, but I know it has an important role to play on campus, both now and in the future.”

What has been your favorite part of being an Honors College Mentor? “My favorite experiences in college have been through the Honors College, and I get to introduce my freshmen to those experiences. I’m here to help them through their first midterms and internship searches and leadership opportunities, but I’m also here to tell them to leave the library and go to Midnight Sushi every once in a while.”

Do you have any advice for girls who want to get involved on campus? “Just get started somewhere. There’s nothing wrong with going to one meeting and deciding something isn’t for you, as long as you keep going. You’ll find something eventually, and when you do, reach out to the leadership as soon as possible and find out how you can get involved. Whether you have a leadership position or not, go to every meeting early and stay late. Every student organization and program on this campus can use your help.”

What is your favorite part about Alabama?: “Even though I’m from the South, people ask me why I chose to come to Alabama of all places, and I feel a very special kind of Crimson Tide pride when I explain to people how great the University of Alabama really is. We’re all constantly proving to the world that no matter what people think about the South, we’re doing big things.”

What is the coolest experience you’ve had at Alabama? “Whether through PWCB or the Honors College or just hanging out in the Ferg, I’ve gotten to know so many wonderful people all across campus. My parents impressed upon me that college is a special time. We will never again have the opportunity to have lunch with a future ambassador, class with a future CEO, and dinner with a future rocket scientist all in the same day.  I encourage everyone, but freshman especially, to soak up this precious time for all it’s worth.”

What do you love most about your major? “At its core, journalism is about collecting information and distilling it down to what is most relevant. No matter what field I end up in, I’ll use those skills. I use them every day when making all kinds of decisions. Journalism has also taught me that I have a right to ask questions. It’s given me the confidence to walk in any room and say ‘This is who I am, this is why I’m here, and this is what I need from you.’”

What do you like to do in your free time? “I’m good friends with my bed and a pint of Ben & Jerry’s when I need to be, but I love exploring Tuscaloosa. The cliffs at Lake Nicol and Hurricane Creek are gorgeous, and I love running at Snow Hinton Park. Anything I can do to soak up these beautiful four years, I’m down for.”

What are you passionate about? “I want to live my life to the fullest. I think that means getting up each day and laughing and loving and crying and sweating as much as I can.”

What inspires you? “My peers on this campus push me to be the best version of myself every day. I am continually amazed at what my fellow students are accomplishing, and I am grateful to learn and grow with them.”

What is the best piece of advice you have ever gotten? “My dad has given me three rules to live by: 

1.Always check the facts 

2.90 percent of life is showing up.

3. Never doubt the importance of a physical connection

Those three rules have led to many of my successes and saved me a lot of frustration. They all come down to making sure you’ve done everything you can to ensure your own success before blaming external factors.” 

Do you have any advice for girls on how to succeed in college? “Do not be discouraged when things don’t go the way you plan. It’s not a failure, it’s just a step in a different direction. I believe that if you are doing the work of going to class and getting involved and, most importantly, taking care of yourself, your resume will make you perfectly suited for something. It might not be what you came in to college dreaming of and it might not even be related to your degree, but it’s out there.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.