This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Caroline Builta

Hometown: Austin, Texas

Major: Public Relations

What are you passionate about? “I’m passionate about empowering women and girls of all ages. I love women supporting other women.”

What are you involved in on campus? “I’m a member of TriDelta and Crimson Kindness, I’m president of Not On My Campus, and I’m also part of UA Dance Marathon’s Morale Team.”

Do you have a favorite extracurricular that you’re a part of? “I love all of them! They’re incredibly rewarding in so many different ways.”

What’s the most rewarding part about the Not On My Campus movement?” “The most rewarding part about the Not On My Campus movement is the conversations I get to have with other survivors who see getting involved as a healing process. I think it’s amazing to be able to provide that kind of outlet for people. The NOMC Vice President (Madeline Anscombe) and I are working very hard to create a culture of both accountability and support.”

What do you like to do in your free time? I like to hang out with my friends and go do spontaneous things. We’re always doing something unplanned and that just makes it so much more exciting.

Do you have any advice for college girls? “Never back down from being who you are, and to support other women. Our culture can send a lot of problematic messages to young women, but by standing up for yourself and others, we can begin to change that (at least a little bit). Embrace the girls around you and what’s awesome about them. Also, don’t skip class. Trust me on that one.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.
Alabama Contributor