Becca Murdoch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Becca Murdoch

Hometown: Montgomery, AL

Major: Telecommunication and Film with a Creative Writing minor

Relationship status: In a relationship for about a year and three months!

Favorite movie/TV show/book/band: Clueless / Parks and Recreation

Favorite place to study on campus: Third floor of Gorgas (preferably a window seat)

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: “It’s a tossup between Sitar and City Café.”

What clubs are you involved in? “I’m a director of Black Warrior Film Festival and VP of Content for Tide Talks”

What is your favorite part about your major? “Watching and talking about movies and television is one of my favorite things in the world to do; getting a grade for it is just icing on the cake.”

What do you love most about being involved with Tide Talks? “I love getting to talk with our incredible speakers and performers. Their ideas and talents are consistently engaging and inspiring. I also love our whole exec team. Those meetings are often one of the best parts of my week.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “I’ve loved all of my film classes, but I’d have to say my all-time favorite has been EN 216 aka Honors Brit Lit II. Abe Smith is an incredible teacher, poet, and person. He’s the reason I decided to minor in Creative Writing.”

What is the best concert you have ever gone to? “It’s a draw between seeing One Direction during their Take Me Home tour and this incredible Eric Hutchinson concert in Atlanta. They were wildly different experiences, but both were SO GOOD.”

Describe your dream date. “Travel back in time to see Hamilton with the full original cast. That’s all I want. @mybf pls make this happen somehow.”

Describe yourself in three words. Passionate, sensitive, and friendly.

What do you like to do in your free time? “Hang out with my roommates and their cute puppies, hike with my boyfriend, write poetry, read, watch all of my fave TV shows, and cheer on the Tide.”

What do you think is your best quality? “I feel like I’m very easy to talk to/open up to. I take pride in being a good and open minded listener.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “Don’t overwork yourself. Dedicate your time and energy to the things you truly care about, not every single thing that shows up in your path.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “Hopefully building a career stable enough to support myself and a dog. And maybe a cat.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.