The App That Could Save You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

You’ve got a test and two papers due this week, so you camp out in Gorgas all night to get some work done. By the time you leave, it’s 11 pm, Crimson Rides have stopped running, you don’t feel like waiting for 348-RIDE and it’s eerily quiet. You have to trek across campus to get to your dorm or get to your car that’s parked in the Northeast Commuter Lot. Wouldn’t it be nice to not have to make that walk alone? Well it’s possible, and it’s called the Guardian app. The Guardian app was developed for college campuses to increase safety. Features include alerting friends and family when you’re walking alone, setting a safety timer that alerts designated guardians and campus security when a student doesn’t arrive at a planned destination within that time and a panic button that alerts campus security a student’s location when pressed. You may have remembered hearing about the app during Bama Bound orientation. However, because of the high volume of information that students often get during orientation, it’s rare they remember that the Guardian app exists. It might be time to bring it back into the conversation. 23 percent of female college students experience sexual assault, according to a recent study by the Association of American Universities. With a campus of over 36,000 students an app like this is important and should be utilized more. Like every college campus, crimes do happen and a lot can be prevented by using the Guardian app. The app also features a way to submit anonymous tips for suspicious activities seen around campus. Not only does the app assist you, it could also save someone else. Just as one of your friends can see you when you set the safety timer, you can also check on them. When one of your Guardians sets up their safety timer, you are able to see their location, time, status and also call them if their timer expires. When walking alone on campus, it’s a great alternative to situations that might not necessarily need the blue safety lights. If you do need the blue light, this is a way to easily contact authorities without having to go out of your way to find the blue light. Even if you’re not necessarily on campus but are in the Tuscaloosa area the app still works. Certain information like anonymous tips will be forwarded to the Tuscaloosa police instead of the UAPD. The Guardian app now protects students at over 100 higher education institutions across the United States, including The University of Alabama. To ensure your safety and the safety of others, definitely consider utilizing this app and all it has to offer. To download the Guardian app, find it in the app store or of the home page of your myBama account. To feel even safer this school year, try out this app because it just might save you – literally.

Bryana is a senior at The University of Alabama double-majoring in public relations and communication studies from Boston, Mass. She loves photography, finding new songs to jam out to and creating Snapchat geofilters for fun. When Bryana isn't avidly color-coding her planner, you can either find her raving over her most recent abroad experience in London or out on the band field marching with the Million Dollar Band. Follow Bryana on Twitter and Instagram @bryanak13.
Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.